Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Ganesh <em...@yahoo.co.in> on 2010/12/13 07:25:50 UTC

Scale up design

Hello all,

I know little bit about scale out design, Sharding the database across systems. Is any one in this group tried Scale up architecture? I think to scale up, we need to use 64 bit. How about the Lucene performance in 64 bit? Whether we could use 8 GB RAM completely?

Could any share their thoughts on this.

Regards
Ganesh

RE: Re: Scale up design

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
On 12/22/2010 at 2:38 AM, Ganesh wrote:
> Any other tips targeting 64 bit?

If memory usage is an issue, you might consider using HotSpot's "compressed oops" option:

<http://wikis.sun.com/display/HotSpotInternals/CompressedOops>
<http://blog.juma.me.uk/2008/10/14/32-bit-or-64-bit-jvm-how-about-a-hybrid/>

Benson Margulies has written that the memory savings from using "compressed oops" isn't necessarily free - it can impact performance:

<http://lists.apple.com/archives/java-dev/2010/Apr/msg00157.html>

Steve

Re: Re: Scale up design

Posted by findbestopensource <fi...@gmail.com>.
>>Do I need to compile the Lucene and analyzer code in 64 bit JVM?
You don't need to compile. Just drop your jars in 64 Bit JVM in 64 Bit OS.

Regards
Aditya
www.findbestopensource.com

Re: Re: Scale up design

Re: Re: Scale up design

Posted by Danil ŢORIN <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re: Scale up design

Posted by Ganesh <em...@yahoo.co.in>.
Hello Simon,

Re: Re: Scale up design

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Re: Scale up design

Posted by Ganesh <em...@yahoo.co.in>.

Re: Re: Scale up design

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <te...@statsbiblioteket.dk>.

Re: Re: Scale up design

Posted by Ganesh <em...@yahoo.co.in>.
Thanks for your information.

My current stats:
250 GB of data, 40 GB of Index Size, 60 million records is working fine with 1 GB RAM. We are storing minmal amount of data in index. We are doing sorting on Date. Even in single system, the database are shard.

We are planning to build hosted solution. This stats will increase by minimum 10 times in 2 - 3 years. I plan to use 64 Bit, with 8 - 10 GB RAM allocated to JVM. Will i face any issues? Its good to scale up as it would be easy to backup and maintanance. If i scale out then i may require atleast 5 system.

Any thoughts?

Regards
Ganesh

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <te...@statsbiblioteket.dk>.

Re: Scale up design

Posted by Ganesh <em...@yahoo.co.in>.
What is the advantage of going for 64 Bit. People claim performance and usage of more RAM.

In 32 Bit OS, JVM handles 1 to 1.5 GB of RAM then in case of 64 Bit, Single JVM cannot use more than 1.5 GB RAM? What if we host multiple JVM instance in the single system.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: Scale up design

Posted by William Newport <bi...@billynewport.com>.

Re: Scale up design