Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Jennifer O'Neill <je...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/11 06:57:44 UTC

Legitimacy of AskApache.com?

I stumbled across this site tonight while researching module APIs for Apache
HTTP: http://www.askapache.com/  Is this site sanctioned by ASF or
maintained by an Apache member?  If not, it appears to be a violation of
Apache's trademark rights and also fosters the false impression that ASF is
providing information and advice, though he attempts to bypass this by
stating (see http://www.askapache.com/about/, look in the black header on
the home page for the hidden drop-down menus) :

Why the name AskApache?

AskApache was chosen to show and pay *respect* to the contributors of
the Apache
Web Server <http://httpd.apache.org/>. Literally it means to ask Apache when
facing a problem, by searching the *Open-Source*, contacting a board/list,
or browsing the documentation.

I suspect ASF does not endorse this page particularly because the content on
the site is licensed under the Creative Commons license rather than the
ASL.  I'm happy to help draft or review any communication that ASF may want
to send to the domain owner.

Cheers,
Jennifer

Re: Legitimacy of AskApache.com?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Thanks Jennifer,

such matters are handled by our public relations committee who handles
all matters of branding, so I've addressed your observations to them.

Thanks for the heads up.

Bill