Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by "Ignacio J. Ortega" <na...@siapi.es> on 2001/11/27 21:35:55 UTC

Automatically adding Portlets to registry

Hola a todos:

I think we need some kind of portlet autoregistry,

What i think of is basically to add a WEB-INF/portlets dir to webapp,
and take every *.jsp, *.vm , *.html from there and add it to registry
automatically... ready to be used in a page..

This can significantly reduce our users problems.. and will dramatically
reduce instalation hassle..

Another "easy" to do feature can be to add a simple way to copy the
turbine ( or other *special* username ) profile to anon..

That simple features can make the creation and configuration of a
jetspeed site a sweet, aren't you? they are no an interminable source of
problems right now..

Comments, ideas and flames, welcomed as ever :)

Saludos ,
Ignacio J. Ortega

Re: Automatically adding Portlets to registry

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
> I think we need some kind of portlet autoregistry,
>
> What i think of is basically to add a WEB-INF/portlets dir to webapp,
> and take every *.jsp, *.vm , *.html from there and add it to registry
> automatically... ready to be used in a page..

Well I don't welcome if it means delaying the 1.3a2 release.
IBM had some ideas about a PAR (portlet archive), but I believe their
product now only works with standard WARs for deploying portlets. We should
definately revisit this after the 1.3a2 release.

> This can significantly reduce our users problems.. and will dramatically
> reduce instalation hassle..
>
> Another "easy" to do feature can be to add a simple way to copy the
> turbine ( or other *special* username ) profile to anon..
>
> That simple features can make the creation and configuration of a
> jetspeed site a sweet, aren't you? they are no an interminable source of
> problems right now..

As it works now, when a new user is created, the 'turbine' user-psml is
copied to the new user's default psml.  It would be better if the default
profile was  copied from a configurable default profile setup, or perhaps
the user could be given a choice of profiles to choose from.

In a related feature, Ive been working on an enhancement to the profiler, so
that it also searches the roles of a user if it fails to find a page in the
user's profile.