Posted to users@solr.apache.org by "Heller, George A III CTR (USA)" <ge...@mail.mil.INVALID> on 2021/12/09 20:24:28 UTC

multiple values encountered for non multiValued field Solr 8.10.1

We are trying to index documents for a collection. This worked in Solr 3.6.1, but running this search under Solr 8.10.1 generates the below error.

multiple values encountered for non multiValued field

Any help would be appreciated, and feel free to ask if you need further info.

Re: multiple values encountered for non multiValued field Solr 8.10.1

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 12/9/21 1:24 PM, Heller, George A III CTR (USA) wrote:
> We are trying to index documents for a collection. This worked in Solr 3.6.1, but running this search under Solr 8.10.1 generates the below error.
>
> multiple values encountered for non multiValued field
>
> Any help would be appreciated, and feel free to ask if you need further info.

That message seems pretty clear to me.

Your indexing is sending a document that has multiple values in a field,
and the schema entry for that field is not multiValued.  So Solr cannot
index that document.

It is likely that the error message is far larger than the one bit of
text you have quoted.  Looking at the source code, it does look like the
error message should include the name of the field with the problem.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: multiple values encountered for non multiValued field Solr 8.10.1

Posted by Andy Lester <an...@petdance.com>.
> We are trying to index documents for a collection. This worked in Solr 3.6.1, but running this search under Solr 8.10.1 generates the below error.
>
> multiple values encountered for non multiValued field
>
> Any help would be appreciated, and feel free to ask if you need further info.

We need to know a lot more to help you track it down.

What query are you running that gives you the error?  Do all queries cause that error or only certain ones?

Have you tried modifying the query to see if there’s a certain field that causes the error to appear or disappear?

How did you convert from Solr 3.6.1 to 8.10.1?  Did you do a full reindex of the cores?

Have you searched for that error message online?  This StackOverflow answer is the first thing that shows up, and summarizes what I expect is the problem: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17521287/solr-3-5-mutliple-values-encountered-for-non-multivalued-field <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17521287/solr-3-5-mutliple-values-encountered-for-non-multivalued-field>

Andy