Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com> on 2014/07/23 21:44:58 UTC

Any Solr consultants available??

I occasionally get pinged by recruiters looking for Solr application developers... here’s the latest. If you are interested, either contact Jessica directly or reply to me and I’ll forward your reply.

Even if you don’t strictly meet all the requirements... they are having trouble finding... anyone. All the great Solr guys I know are quite busy.

Thanks.

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
Plenty of interesting ideas.

Another angle is helping companies set up a "center of excellence" for Solr
in their organization. Whether the center is dedicated in-house staff or an
outside vendor contract, the concept is still the same - giving people a
clear and direct place to go to get immediate, high-value support and
guidance. A rich guy's version of this mailing list!

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
Any or all of the above, and more.

OTOH, how many people are there out there who want to become Solr
consultants, but aren't already either doing it or at least already in the
process of coming up to speed or maybe just not cut out for it?

But then there are the kids in school. Maybe we need to get more professors
interested in Solr (or do they prefer Elasticsearch?!) and assigning
projects? And maybe the problem is that a lot of the need is in departments
outside of CS, but Solr (the people with actual data needs) is just too...
"difficult"... for a lot of non-CS students to "casually pick up".

I sense the difficulty is that Solr is too much of a complex "toolkit"
rather than a packaged product. For example, the recent inquiry related to
queries for compound and split terms - it's not automatic and OOB for Solr,
and without an obvious and simple solution. Lots of things are like that in
Solr.

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Charlie Hull <ch...@flax.co.uk>.