Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Vi...@wellsfargo.com on 2015/03/27 23:01:00 UTC

RE: Is axis 2 active OR has it been retired?

Is Axis 2 an active project with an active community?

I'm hearing that this project is waning/dead since there have been no releases since 2012.

This information will help me decide if I can continue using Axis 2 for my applications or I should migrate my applications to a different Webservices Engine.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Vivek Sridharan

RE: Is axis 2 active OR has it been retired?

Posted by George Stanchev <Gs...@serena.com>.
The project does appear to be going into a slow death. I would look elsewere if I were you...

Regards,
George

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

From: Vivek.P.Sridharan@wellsfargo.com
To: java-dev@axis.apache.org
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 23:10:53 +0000

Thank you Martin. It is heartening to see a response within a couple of hrs. and a commitment to help me as an Axis 2 user.

Good to know that there are large user communities such as Banco Santander.

Is it possible to get additional information that can demonstrate that if my project sponsors continue on Axis 2 they do not have to be fearful of being stuck
 on a platform that is not adopting newer developments and does not have enough developers and contributors that can step up and help in with issues?
MG>no worries there.. critical patches will be implemented asap..docs updated as time allows
MG>I am working on getting everything done in one shot request/code/docs in a comprehensive maven pom.xml

Below are some items that I can think of can demonstrate project viability, if you have different information that demonstrates the same that will also work:

-
High level outlook on how the Axis 2 project expects to move forward

http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl20/

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2

MG>bug fixes are completed first (due to demonstrated non-adherence to any of above standards)
MG>docs are usually updated in a day or 2 (depending on available time/financial constraints of devs)

-
An idea of the number of active developers/contributors
MG>varies widely due to time and or financial constraints of the developers
MG>I remember at Santander counting upwards of  100 authors over a 10 year period

-
Additional developers responding to this email and showing support for the project (other devs can email me directly instead of the dev-distro to
 avoid spam)

Kind regards,

Vivek

Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 22:01:00 +0000

Posted by Vi...@wellsfargo.com.
Thank you Martin. It is heartening to see a response within a couple of hrs. and a commitment to help me as an Axis 2 user.

Good to know that there are large user communities such as Banco Santander.

Is it possible to get additional information that can demonstrate that if my project sponsors continue on Axis 2 they do not have to be fearful of being stuck on a platform that is not adopting newer developments and does not have enough developers and contributors that can step up and help with issues?

[...]

                       |_|