Posted to users@camel.apache.org by wcpolicarpio <wa...@morgansolar.com> on 2013/07/18 23:56:43 UTC

Camel in Openshift

Hi Everyone,

Is there a Camel quickstart that can be deployed in openshift?

Thanks,
Walter

Re: Camel in Openshift

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 23 July 2013 20:13, wcpolicarpio <wa...@morgansolar.com> wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> That would be awesome! I will definitely anticipate your new cartridge.

Cool, I'll reply to this thread when I've got a blog on how to get started.

> I saw the hawt.io interface and it looks cool.

Thanks!

> (http://macstrac.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/introducing-apache-camel-based-open.html).
>
> I have a follow-up question. Is it possible to deploy the camel route in a
> jboss/tomcat gear and communicate to another gear(e.g. php with a mysql)?

Yes.

On OpenShift each 'gear' is a separate virtual computer (or unix
lightweight container - LxC) on some hardware somewhere. An
'application' is zero to many gears (depending on auto-scaling or
manual-scaling).

The easiest way to communicate between gears is to use HTTP; since
each application gets its own domain name (which abstracts the
auto-scaling & HTTP load balancing underneath), so any gear/app can
talk to any other gear/app via https://appname-username.rhcloud.com/
for example if using OpenShift Online.

In Camel terms there are a few different endpoints which under the
covers use HTTP (e.g. http, http4, netty-http, jetty, cxf, restlet
etc)
http://camel.apache.org/components.html

For non-HTTP communication (e.g. messaging), we're working on nicer
ways to perform inter-gear communication in the Fuse cartridge & with
the OpenShift team...

--
James
-------

Email: jstracha@redhat.com
Web: http://fusesource.com
Twitter: jstrachan, fusenews
Blog: http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration

Re: Camel in Openshift

Re: Camel in Openshift

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
I'm working with Ioannis on a Fuse OpenShift cartridge so that folks
can easily run all of Fuse on OpenShift, visualise their camel routes,
edit them on the fly with custom palettes from a web browser,
provision them, do rolling upgrades & view real time metrics etc.

i.e. the full iPaaS demo on OpenShift that I demonstrated at CamelOne
http://macstrac.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/introducing-apache-camel-based-open.html

I'm hoping to have the first version ready in the next few weeks.

Until then, you should be able to use camel using either the Tomcat or
JBoss quick starts and just add the camel jars to a WAR
https://www.openshift.com/developers/java

e.g. maybe using the contents of the camel-war archetype as the
project inside the jboss/tomcat quickstart openshift app

Hopefully this will all be much easier & documented soon though!

On 18 July 2013 22:56, wcpolicarpio <wa...@morgansolar.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Is there a Camel quickstart that can be deployed in openshift?
>
> Thanks,
> Walter

James
-------