Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by mlathe <ml...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/09 23:55:20 UTC

Re: snapshot config value for Solr 1.4 Replication

Does anyone have comments on this?
Is this on the wrong list? should it be solr-user?

Thanks
--Matthias

Posted by mlathe <ml...@gmail.com>.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar wrote:

> Please note that snapshots are needed only if you want backups.
> Replication
> does not need to create snapshots.

Thanks. I updated the Wiki page

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:37 PM, Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>wrote:

> The wiki is quite confusing on this.
>
> Doesnt it talk about the slave pulling a snapshot (or snap pull)? What does
> it pull if you don't create a snapshot?
>
> I think the terminology around snapshot needs to be cleaned up.

Yes, the snapshot terminology is an artifact of the rsync based replication.
ReplicationHandler does not need to create the snapshot directories that
were necessary for rsync replication. It replicates directly out of the
index using the Lucene index commit points. An option to create the snapshot
directories is still provided for people who used to rely on the snapshot
directories for backup.

It does need to be cleaned up though. I'll try to take a shot at it.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: snapshot config value for Solr 1.4 Replication

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@corp.aol.com>.
Mark ,
I have opened an issue SOLR-1216

let us make the necessary changes right away

thanks,

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@corp.aol.com>.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@corp.aol.com>.
On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 3:25 AM, mlathe<ml...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have comments on this?
> Is this on the wrong list? should it be solr-user?
This questions could go to solr-user

> Thanks
> --Matthias
>

> mlathe wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>> I'm doing some proof of concept work with Solr Replication
>> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication
>>
>> If you dig through the ReplicationHandler code you will see that the
>> master node's config can include "replicateAfter" and "snapshot", like
>> this:
>>     <lst name="master">
this is wrong
>>         <str name="replicateAfter">startup,commit</str>
this is right
<str name="replicateAfter">startup</str>
<str name="replicateAfter">commit</str>

this is wrong
>>         <str name="snapshot">startup,commit</str>

this right