Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> on 2002/04/29 14:30:08 UTC

ETC Thanks

Hi,

I just wanted to thanks everyone that showed up for the little European
Turbine Conference:

Martin van den Bemt
Stéphane MOR
Diederik de Groot
Bernhard Spanyar
George Clernon
Colm McCartan
Uwe Schmidt
Christiaan ten Klooster
Slava Zimine
Bart Selders
Thomas Mahler
Jason van Zyl

It was fairly modest but I think it was a good first conference. It was
great for me to get some feedback from users directly and see what users
are actually doing with Turbine.

One thing I definitely learned from the users at the conference is that
the list isn't as friendly as a it could be toward new contributions:
people aren't exactly sure where to make contributions and the list can
sometimes be a little hostile toward new contributions. So I'll
definitely try to improve that. Possibly adding a contrib/ and
scratchpad/ directory to the general maven structure and just try to be
more watchful for contributions.

There was some great stuff at the conference: Bart has an LDAP security
implementation and Christiaan has restructured Jetspeed to use Turbine 3
which is probably of definite interested to the Jetspeed group. So I
definitely encourage users post pieces of code.

We'll setup a contrib/ directory in each of the turbine projects (I
don't think any developer will disagree with this) so that code any
contribution will be visible in CVS and allow people to collaborate more
instead duplicating what someone probably has already done.

I know the log4j project does contrib/<username> which has worked for
them so we'll do the same to try and make user contributions more
visible.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: ETC Thanks

Posted by Colm McCartan <co...@owl.co.uk>.
At 13:04 30/04/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi Jason,
>
>I just wanted to thank you for coming over. It really helped me to get
>productive again with turbine 2.2 and 3.0. I love the open atmosphere.

Hear hear.

Anyone who decided not to go should kick themselves - lots of useful
experience was traded (and it was good to have a beer with other turbine
developers!)

>Thanks again and greetings to all of the other guys who were there,

Yes, thanks a lot to Jason for giviing his time and many thanks to Martin
van den Bemt for his hospitality and for dropping off confused foreigners
at their hotels etc.

colm

colm mccartan
panasonic owl uk
colmm@owl.co.uk
(44) 131 561 1035

RE: ETC Thanks

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 07:58, Diederik de Groot wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> Thanks for implementing that.
>
> Would there be a possibility where i could upload to that specific directory
> myself ?

On the cvs.apache.org machine this isn't likely to happen because of
security concerns but we could probably implement something offsite.
Eventually it would be nice if you could upload via a Turbine app, add a
description and have it be immediately available. But for now if you
post a link to the code and send a message to the list it will find its
way into CVS.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: ETC Thanks

Posted by Diederik de Groot <dd...@talon.nl>.
Hi Jason,

RE: ETC Thanks

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 07:21, Diederik de Groot wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> I think i first have to undress it a bit to make it less commercial :-) I'll
> have some time to do that tomorrow, and will send it to you then.

Cool. The contrib/ directory is now there so if I have already left then
another committer can pop it in the contrib/ directory when you've made
the changes you want to make.

> Diederik

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: ETC Thanks

Posted by Diederik de Groot <dd...@talon.nl>.
Hi Jason,

RE: ETC Thanks

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 07:04, Diederik de Groot wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> I just wanted to thank you for coming over. It really helped me to get
> productive again with turbine 2.2 and 3.0. I love the open atmosphere. I am
> think of contributing my current application to the Turbine group as a
> skeleton to which people can contribute instead of the current "newapp",
> maybe that will provide some example of a working application. It might have
> some silly solution at the momment just because of the deadline I had, but
> i'm willing to dare showing it to the people. Hopefully people can use it as
> a test frame to implement new stuff and add it to the repository.
>
> I'll get it to work under 2.2b2 as soon as possible and send you the code.
> Maybe you can put it online somewhere ?

If you send it to me I will make a contrib/ directory now and put it in
CVS so that people can take a look and give you some feedback.

> Thanks again and greetings to all of the other guys who were there,
>
> Diederik de Groot [mailto:ddegroot@talon.nl]
> www.talon.nl
>
> P.S. the current application can be found at www.golfmetmij.nl, but that is
> the actual production version, if you just want a test drive log in to
> http://213.10.170.136/golfmetmij_test/servlet/golfmetmij_test. It's still in
> dutch but i'm starting on an International version.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org