Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Carmona Perez, David" <DP...@fcc.es> on 2003/05/14 09:26:41 UTC

Logging categories

Hi all,

I've been searching in several pages like http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=ConfiguringTheLogs , http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=JavaLogging and others about how to setup categories in logkit.xconf.

I understand perfectly about log targets and factories, but don't fully understand about categories, how their definition is nested.  Do I have to repeat for each sub-category their log targets?

--------
David

RE: Logging categories

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@gmx.net>.
David,

In the targets you describe the pysical destination where the log
messages should be routed to - e.g. file system, database, JMX, ...
But you can't send your messages directly to a log target but to a log
category (see the logger attribute in the sitemap).

In the categories section of logkit.xconf you describe to which targets
your log messages should be send and here it's possible to send them to
more than one target - e.g. all "core" log messages are sent to the
"core target" but if they have the loglevel "ERROR" they are
*additionally* sent to the "error target".

Reinhard