Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2010/02/03 07:22:50 UTC

[VOTE] Commit HDFS-927 to both 0.20 and 0.21 branch?

I'd like to open a vote on committing HDFS-927 to both hadoop branch
0.20 and to 0.21.

HDFS-927 "DFSInputStream retries too many times for new block
location" has an odd summary but in short, its a better HDFS-127
"DFSClient block read failures cause open DFSInputStream to become
unusable".  HDFS-127 is an old, popular issue that refuses to die.  We
voted on having it committed to the 0.20 branch not too long ago, see
http://www.mail-archive.com/hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org/msg00401.html,
only it broke TestFsck (See http://su.pr/1nylUn) so it was reverted.

High-level, HDFS-127/HDFS-927 is about fixing DFSClient so it a good
read cleans out the failures count (Previous failures 'stuck' though
there may have been hours of successful reads in betwixt).  When
rolling hadoop 0.20.2 was proposed, a few fellas including myself
raised a lack of HDFS-127 as an obstacle.

HDFS-927 has been committed to TRUNK.

I'm +1 on committing to 0.20 and to 0.21 branches.

Thanks for taking the time to take a look into this issue.
St.Ack

Re: [VOTE] Commit HDFS-927 to both 0.20 and 0.21 branch?

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
+1

(btw is there anything we can do about the maniacal spam classifier on
this list? it marked my first three attempts to +1 this patch as
spam...)

-Todd

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
+1

Fwd: [VOTE] Commit HDFS-927 to both 0.20 and 0.21 branch?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Please vote on below.  Be sure to put your vote up on hdfs-dev.  Thanks all.
St.Ack

Posted by "Tsz Wo (Nicholas), Sze" <s2...@yahoo.com>.
+1
Nicholas Sze

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Vote is closed (unless there is objection).  I'll commit below in next
day or so.
Thanks to all who participated.
St.Ack

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.