Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2003/07/31 23:04:34 UTC

Moving Cocoon wiki to proper ASF equipment [was: Re: Releasing 2.1]

On 31/07/2003 18:13 Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Just one thing: what about moving the wiki on cocoon.apache.org/wiki/
> before release?

I was actually thinking of asking infrastructure@ to migrate the Wiki to
the new & beefy minotaur. As a transition, we could check whether
mod_proxy/proxy_pass would be possible, possibly with mod_cache - people
knowledgeable in this would be helpful. But from what I read on the
infrastructure@ list, it appears nagoya might still be the place to go
for heavy use Java apps, yet I understand Pier hasn't got time yet to
upgrade/reconfigure nagoya.

Infrastructure peeps: this is about the JSPWiki-based Cocoon wiki
running on wiki.cocoondev.org. Having run & regularly upgraded this
beasty for considerable time, I can attest it's a neat Wiki
implementation and runs quite well. I'd be happy to further help
maintaining it anywhere it is hosted.

Your comments are very much welcomed.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Moving Cocoon wiki to proper ASF equipment [was: Re: Releasing 2.1]

Posted by Thom May <th...@apache.org>.
* Steven Noels (stevenn@outerthought.org) wrote :
> On 2/08/2003 22:21 Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
> The trial instance has been up on minotaur
> (http://minotaur.apache.org:38080/) for little more than a week - so I
> was wondering whether anyone already had been load-testing it. So far,
> it seems stable, even after dualit.netcraft.com has been hitting it with
> a lot of exploit URLs.
yup, netcraft do a weekly network examination for apache.org.

> I'm able to do some load testing myself, but don't want to interfere
> with ongoing operations, and I'm sure people over here know better where
> to watch for.
>
> Also, I would like your advise as to how to mount the new Wiki location
> in the cocoon.apache.org namespace: using mod_proxy or mod_jk, and also
> what we should do with (Tomcat) access log files: disable them and let
> httpd take care of logging, or add some log rotation scripts.

I'd suggest using mod_proxy; when you're happy that you've got the
functionality working right, i'd suggest you to talk to root and/or Greg
Ames gregames@apache.org to get the proxy config done, then test that, then
actually let people know about it.
I wouldn't bother with tomcat logs, they're fairly awful and HTTPD's will
give you nicer usage stats for the whole site should you need them.
Cheers
-Thom

Re: Moving Cocoon wiki to proper ASF equipment [was: Re: Releasing 2.1]

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 2/08/2003 22:21 Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 10:16:47PM +0200, Steven Noels wrote:
>
>>I tried mapping this under the final destination URI space
>>cocoon.apache.org/wiki/ by adding a .htaccess directive under the
>>cocoon.apache.org document root on daedalus which reads as follows:
>>
>><Proxy *>
>>  Order deny,allow
>>  Allow from all
>></Proxy>
>>ProxyPass /wiki/ http://minotaur.apache.org:38080/
>

> ProxyPass can't be in .htaccess.  Redirect directives can.  But, they'll
> see the 'real' URL in the browser.
>
> If I get a chance in the next few days, I'll try to run a simple load
> test against it to see how the JDK fares.  -- justin

The trial instance has been up on minotaur
(http://minotaur.apache.org:38080/) for little more than a week - so I
was wondering whether anyone already had been load-testing it. So far,
it seems stable, even after dualit.netcraft.com has been hitting it with
a lot of exploit URLs.

I'm able to do some load testing myself, but don't want to interfere
with ongoing operations, and I'm sure people over here know better where
to watch for.

Also, I would like your advise as to how to mount the new Wiki location
in the cocoon.apache.org namespace: using mod_proxy or mod_jk, and also
what we should do with (Tomcat) access log files: disable them and let
httpd take care of logging, or add some log rotation scripts.

Thanks,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Moving Cocoon wiki to proper ASF equipment [was: Re: Releasing 2.1]

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 2/08/2003 22:21 Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> ProxyPass can't be in .htaccess.

That's what I was already afraid of.

>  Redirect directives can.  But, they'll
> see the 'real' URL in the browser.

Sure, and since we try and advocate cool URIs whenever we can, I really
hope we can eventually make proper use of mod_proxy or mod_jk.

> If I get a chance in the next few days, I'll try to run a simple load
> test against it to see how the JDK fares.  -- justin

That would be great - I was thinking of doing the same but a bit
reluctant to stress our new hardware yet. Besides, I'm no Java guru on
the FreeBSD platform. I'll make sure logging is switched to WARN or
ERROR only so that debug messages don't mess up performance.

Thanks for your help,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Moving Cocoon wiki to proper ASF equipment [was: Re: Releasing 2.1]

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 1/08/2003 22:27 Steven Noels wrote:

> Just a last one: for the sake of having Cool URIs, could someone
> afterwards suggest (or configure) proxy_pass on httpd so that we are
> able to release Cocoon 2.1 (in three weeks) with the Wiki running on its
> definitive URI (http://cocoon.apache.org/wiki/)? Or can we do that
> ourselves using .htaccess?

I have a test migration of the Cocoon Wiki currently running on
http://minotaur.apache.org:38080/ and all seems well, but should be
tested under load. It's running Tomcat 4.1.27 from my home directory on
minotaur, using /usr/local/jdk1.4.2.

I tried mapping this under the final destination URI space
cocoon.apache.org/wiki/ by adding a .htaccess directive under the
cocoon.apache.org document root on daedalus which reads as follows:

<Proxy *>
   Order deny,allow
   Allow from all
</Proxy>
ProxyPass /wiki/ http://minotaur.apache.org:38080/

which unfortunately results in a server error when accessing
http://cocoon.apache.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp

The module_proxy seems to be loaded in the config, so obviously I'm
doing something wrong. I can't find anything logged in httpd error_log,
so I'm a bit helpless ATM. Anywhere else I could find more?

Thanks,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Moving Cocoon wiki to proper ASF equipment [was: Re: Releasing 2.1]

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 1/08/2003 22:22 Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> Does that make sense?  -- justin

Perfect. Going offlist with Gianugo to discuss details.

Just a last one: for the sake of having Cool URIs, could someone
afterwards suggest (or configure) proxy_pass on httpd so that we are
able to release Cocoon 2.1 (in three weeks) with the Wiki running on its
definitive URI (http://cocoon.apache.org/wiki/)? Or can we do that
ourselves using .htaccess?

Thanks!

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Moving Cocoon wiki to proper ASF equipment [was: Re: Releasing 2.1]

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

&snip;

> Once we know that the JDK/servlet container work on FreeBSD (which is an
> open question), we can continue the conversation as to how to integrate
> it with the cocoon.apache.org site.  I'd prefer using mod_jk2 (if using
> Tomcat - or if using Jetty its connector - it has one, right?) over a
> ProxyPass connection, but let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

What version of BSD is running?  I've had problems with the JDK and slightly older versions of
FreeBSD, where Java would only run as root (!), and it was a documented bug in the FreeBSD kernel...
it was pretty nasty AFAIR.  I hear they've fixed the problem in the latest releases (4.8-R, etc),
but I wouldn't be 100% on anything older than 4.8 or 4.7-R.

Tony

Re: Moving Cocoon wiki to proper ASF equipment [was: Re: Releasing 2.1]

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
--On Friday, August 01, 2003 22:07:16 +0200 Steven Noels
<st...@outerthought.org> wrote:

> The upgrade Pier was planning seems a bit over my capabilities to assist
> with, but if someone can point me out how a servlet container _should_ be
> installed on minotaur (where on the FS, what UID should be owning it, any
> related suggestions) I'd like to step up (together with Gianugo would be
> great) to start with a trial instance on a higher port. Integrating it
> with the httpd daemon in a sensible way might require access and
> assistance from root people anyhow, depending on the strategy we follow
> (mod_proxy, or mod_name_your_favourite_version_jk), so assistance in that
> perspective is welcomed as well.

Yes, what I would recommend is installing everything in your home directory
anyway you (or Gianugo) see fit.  Setup an httpd as a front-end, or use the
native server - don't much care for feasibility checks.  Use a high port,
run it as your UID - make sure that the wiki serves pages reliably.

To do the above, you shouldn't need any special privs or rights.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 1/08/2003 19:32 Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> If you are willing to take the initiative and set it up and maintain it,
> we can figure out a solution that works.  But, the infrastructure@ group
> can't/won't baby-sit everything on its own.  So, at least two committers
> have to step up and be willing to maintain it.

Of course, and count me in on that.

> As a starting point, I'd recommend setting up the server on a high port
> on minotaur and get everything working just right.  Once it's all 'up',
> infrastructure@ can figure out what to do next.  But, doing this first
> will ensure that all of the software can/does run on minotaur.  If it
> doesn't run on FreeBSD (or there are problems), then you'll have to run
> it on nagoya (which is a Solaris box).

The upgrade Pier was planning seems a bit over my capabilities to assist
with, but if someone can point me out how a servlet container _should_
be installed on minotaur (where on the FS, what UID should be owning it,
any related suggestions) I'd like to step up (together with Gianugo
would be great) to start with a trial instance on a higher port.
Integrating it with the httpd daemon in a sensible way might require
access and assistance from root people anyhow, depending on the strategy
we follow (mod_proxy, or mod_name_your_favourite_version_jk), so
assistance in that perspective is welcomed as well.

> If you do run into problems, please let infrastructure@ know and we can
> try to help you work through it.  But, it's unlikely we'll take
> initiative on our own.

I never meant to force work upon you guys, but if there's thoughts
towards a shared servlet container setup where JSPWiki for Cocoon is one
of many deployed webapps, it's better to discuss here before moving in,
IMHO.

> As an aside, have you considered using the SubWiki install?  ;-)  If
> you'd be willing to use that, I might be enticed to help you migrate to
> that away from JSPWiki.  See:
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/wiki/
>
> It's written in Python!  Oh no!  -- justin

For the record: I like Python - and I'm pretty much agnostic towards
specific WikiEngine implementations. But I don't like migrating 533
pages of Wiki content from one WikiEngine to another.

In terms of sizing, here's some rough stats on the current instance:

(per month, rough rounding)

Successful requests: ~400K
Average successful requests per day: ~15K
Successful requests for pages: ~120K
Average successful requests for pages per day: ~4K
Data transferred: ~2.5 GB
Average data transferred per day: ~85 MB

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Moving Cocoon wiki to proper ASF equipment [was: Re: Releasing 2.1]

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>> Infrastructure peeps: this is about the JSPWiki-based Cocoon wiki
>> running on
>> wiki.cocoondev.org. Having run & regularly upgraded this beasty for
>> considerable time, I can attest it's a neat Wiki implementation and runs
>> quite well. I'd be happy to further help maintaining it anywhere it is
>> hosted.
>
> If you are willing to take the initiative and set it up and maintain it,
> we can figure out a solution that works.  But, the infrastructure@ group
> can't/won't baby-sit everything on its own.  So, at least two committers
> have to step up and be willing to maintain it.

OK, count me in. I have a quite extensive experience as a Unix/network
sysadm and, even if I don't exercise much lately, I'more than willing to
help you out. Please consider this as an offer to help not only for this
particular issue, but for everything in Apache where you might see a
need for some sysop helping hand (I'm a bit rusty on FreeBSD, but I use
and maintain daily Sun, Linux and AIX boxes). Yes, this is the long
overdue "may I help you guys on infrastructure" that has been sitting
somewhere for way too long. :-)

> As a starting point, I'd recommend setting up the server on a high port
> on minotaur and get everything working just right.  Once it's all 'up',
> infrastructure@ can figure out what to do next.  But, doing this first
> will ensure that all of the software can/does run on minotaur.  If it
> doesn't run on FreeBSD (or there are problems), then you'll have to run
> it on nagoya (which is a Solaris box).

Makes sense. I understand that there is a long overdue upgrade on
nagoya: again, if it's OK to you, I can do my best to help on this too
(maybe when Pier gets back).

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: Moving Cocoon wiki to proper ASF equipment [was: Re: Releasing 2.1]

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
--On Thursday, July 31, 2003 11:04 PM +0200 Steven Noels