Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Bradford Winfrey <br...@yahoo.com> on 2008/08/27 05:26:36 UTC

Any benefit in the pipe from TraceMonkey?

I was just curious about CouchDB's performance (not that I have any problem with it at the moment). As the buzz surrounding FireFox's javascript support amplifies with each day they get closer to the 3.0.1 release, does this mean that there will be some way to slip TraceMonkey into the mix and reap any benefits?  Just curious - as I will have a success story to share with the masses using CouchDB as a backend very, very soon.

Thanks again,
Brad

Re: Any benefit in the pipe from TraceMonkey?

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@grabb.it>.
On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Bradford Winfrey
> I was just curious about CouchDB's performance (not that I have any problem with it at the moment). As the buzz surrounding FireFox's javascript support amplifies with each day they get closer to the 3.0.1 release, does this mean that there will be some way to slip TraceMonkey into the mix and reap any benefits?  Just curious - as I will have a success story to share with the masses using CouchDB as a backend very, very soon.

In my experience, Javascript view evaluation is not a large part of
the time spent in view generation. Of course a faster Javascript
engine will speed things up, but the work that is currently being done
to make CouchDB take advantage of more cores may have a greater
effect.

That said, I'm not sure what roadblocks (if any) there are to using TraceMonkey.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com