Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chidanand Gangur <ch...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/25 09:37:22 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache restarts on logrotate

Hi all,

I have configured apache with php and ssl. I have statically linked them in
apache and using it for an embedded application. I have also configured
logrotate to rotate the log files when the access_log/error_log reaches to
5M.

I am using apache-1.3.34.

Many times I see the following message in my error_log file.

[notice] SIGHUP received.  Attempting to restart

after googling I found that SIGHUP is sent by logrotate when it clears and
backups the file.

I see this event every often.

Does the process actually get restarted,  or is reloaded?

Some times I see that apache process hangs with limit of MaxClient reached.
This condition sometime recovers over the period of time and some time does
not.

Is that the frequent restart of apache process causing this problem?

When the condition arises I also tried to do netstat I see lot of stream
sockets in connected state. UNIX stream sockets are openened in PHP script
to talk to othe r modules in the system.

unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     8657659
22202/httpd
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     8657655
9190/httpd
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     8657654
22231/httpd
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     8657653
669/httpd
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     8657643
7228/httpd
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     8657642
28418/httpd
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     8657640
412/httpd
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     8657637
32393/httpd
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     8657636
25979/httpd
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     8657635
19223/httpd
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     8657634
17688/httpd
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     8657628
5491/httpd
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     8657623
10928/httpd
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     8657622
30138/httpd
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     8657620
514/httpd
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     8657618
16177/httpd
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     8657613
25896/httpd

--
Chidanand Gangur
Pune.