Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Rolf Kulemann <ma...@rolf-kulemann.com> on 2004/02/11 15:57:31 UTC

[VOTE] Where to put i18n stuff

Hello developers,

To implement the i18n stuff at least for the cms ui we need to decide
where to put dict files and the 18ntranformer.

First ideas on irc were:

1.) The dict files should go to config/i18n
2.) The i18n transformer gets defined in global-sitemap.xmap

+1 for the proposals.

    Rolf Kulemann

Re: [VOTE] Where to put i18n stuff

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Robert Koberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Probably a stupid question (I don't have experience with i18n), but does
> it somehow work with the XML Source(s) of a transformation?

Simple answer:

In your XML / XSLT, you use keys:

   <i18n:text>translate_this</i18n:text>

Depending on a locale string you pass as a parameter,
the I18nTransformer translates this into:

a) übersetze dies (de)
b) translate this (en)

The translations are defined in catalog files.

-- Andreas

Re: [VOTE] Where to put i18n stuff

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Hi,

Probably a stupid question (I don't have experience with i18n), but does
it somehow work with the XML Source(s) of a transformation?

thanks,
-Rob

Re: [VOTE] Where to put i18n stuff

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Christian Egli wrote:

[...]
> In the definition of the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
> (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/) they are resources as they are under
> /usr/share/. So I'd vote for resources/i18n.
>
> +1 for resources/i18n.
>
>>If they are meant to be tweaked by integrators (I think so), they
>>should go into config. So:
>
> Why can an integrator not tweak them if they are in resources?

He/she can, but it's not that obvious ...

I see the resources directory rather as a repository
of "things" provided by 3rd parties (like W3C schemas
etc.) which are not meant to be manipulated.

-- Andreas

Re: [VOTE] Where to put i18n stuff

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 16:54, Christian Egli wrote:

> +1 for resources/i18n.

Ok. I recall my last vote.

+1 for resources/i18n.

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.net>.

--
Christian Egli       christian.egli@wyona.com   +41 1 272 9161
                     Wyona AG, Hardstrasse 219, CH-8005 Zurich

Re: [VOTE] Where to put i18n stuff

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> Hello developers,
>
> To implement the i18n stuff at least for the cms ui we need to decide
> where to put dict files and the 18ntranformer.
>
> First ideas on irc were:
>
> 1.) The dict files should go to config/i18n

The question is whether we consider these things as
configurations or resources. If they are meant to be
tweaked by integrators (I think so), they should go
into config. So:

+1 for config/i18n

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> Hello developers,
>
> To implement the i18n stuff at least for the cms ui we need to decide
> where to put dict files and the 18ntranformer.
>
> First ideas on irc were:
>
> 1.) The dict files should go to config/i18n
> 2.) The i18n transformer gets defined in global-sitemap.xmap

+1 on both

i am not familiar with the dict details, but it should be possible to
extend the core dict with publication specific ones. not sure what the
best approach would be.

-gregor

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss