Posted to gui-dev@apache.org by Dani <ri...@esi.us.es> on 1998/02/26 22:34:58 UTC

Limit

Hello everyone. I posted this in c.i.w.s.u but I got no awnser

I would be very grateful if someone can help me, since I need this info to
implement <limit> and <files> support in Comanche.

 Any help will be appreciated

Thanks in advance
-------------------------
>From the docs:

<Limit> and </Limit> are used to enclose a group of access control
directives which will then apply only to the specified access methods,
where method is any valid HTTP method. Any directive except another <Limit>
or <Directory> may be used; the majority will be unaffected by the
<Limit>.

 I need to know *exactly* (I am writing a configuration program)
 what directives will be affected:

 I guess they are
 require, allow from,  deny from,  allow from env, deny from env
 order, AuthName, AuthType

Q1) Do others like: AccessFileName, AllowOverride or the directives from
mod_auth, mod_auth_db get affected? (I guess yes, but I need to know for sure
and I have no server to try right now)

Q2) Do the same directives affected by  <limit> apply to <files>?

Q3) Finally, it states that a directory can not be put inside a limit I
guess the same applies for files and for location, is it true? (again, I
have no available server to try and see)

Thanks, I am looking forward to your reply

Daniel

Daniel Lopez Ridruejo                 "Imagination is more important
E-Mail: ridruejo@esi.us.es            than knowledge"
PGP key: finger ridruejo@esi.us.es    Albert Einstein

Re: Limit

Posted by Paul Sutton <pa...@c2.net>.
On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Dani wrote:
> Hello everyone. I posted this in c.i.w.s.u but I got no awnser

I didn't see it. In fact I still can't see it.

> <Limit> and </Limit> are used to enclose a group of access control
> directives which will then apply only to the specified access methods,
> where method is any valid HTTP method. Any directive except another <Limit>
> or <Directory> may be used; the majority will be unaffected by the
> <Limit>.
>

>  I need to know *exactly* (I am writing a configuration program)
>  what directives will be affected:
>
>  I guess they are
>  require, allow from,  deny from,  allow from env, deny from env
>  order, AuthName, AuthType

I think only allow, deny and require are affected by the Limit. Although
typically people also put AuthType, AuthName and Auth{User,Group}File into
the Limit section. Note also that many people use Limit when they want to
Limit all methods, with (for example) <Limit GET PUT POST>. That is wrong.
To limit all access, just use the require/deny/allow directives without
using a Limit section. You only ever need Limit if you want to restrict
different methods differently (e.g. only allow PUT for authenticated
users, but allow GET and POST for anyone).

> Q1) Do others like: AccessFileName, AllowOverride or the directives from
> mod_auth, mod_auth_db get affected? (I guess yes, but I need to know for sure
> and I have no server to try right now)

No.

> Q2) Do the same directives affected by  <limit> apply to <files>?

No, Limit and Files are separate. Files is equivalent to Location and
Directory, and affects the same directives that those sections affect.

> Q3) Finally, it states that a directory can not be put inside a limit I
> guess the same applies for files and for location, is it true? (again, I
> have no available server to try and see)

Yes, absolutely right.

Paul
--
Paul Sutton, C2Net Europe                    http://www.eu.c2.net/~paul/