Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2009/11/12 02:48:30 UTC

Serf vs Neon (was Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Subversion)

Is this topic really appropriate for incubator general? I'm having trouble following along with all the noise.

Re: Serf vs Neon (was Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Subversion)

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Nov 11, 2009, at 7:27 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 20:48, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is this topic really appropriate for incubator general? I'm having trouble following along with all the noise.
>
> At the root, it is a discussion about LGPL dependencies in an incoming podling.
>
> Neon is LGPL. Serf is ALv2. Both are optional, though you really want
> to choose one for a broadly-useful svn build.
>
> In the past, Neon was the default. For 1.7, serf is going to be the
> default, although a few people in the community are wary of that
> choice.

yes, I got that. But all the discussion about whether serf is an acceptable replacement or whether eclipse will use it doesn't belong here. I got the impression with the first post on the topic that the Subversion community already understood the issue.

Ralph

Re: Serf vs Neon (was Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Subversion)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 20:48, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> Is this topic really appropriate for incubator general? I'm having trouble following along with all the noise.

At the root, it is a discussion about LGPL dependencies in an incoming podling.

Neon is LGPL. Serf is ALv2. Both are optional, though you really want
to choose one for a broadly-useful svn build.

In the past, Neon was the default. For 1.7, serf is going to be the
default, although a few people in the community are wary of that
choice.

HTH,
-g