Posted to users@jena.apache.org by kumar rohit <ku...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/19 15:36:52 UTC

Wikidata vs DBpedia

I am sorry if it is slightly off topic.

How Wikidata differs from DBpedia, in terms of building semantic web
applications. Wikidata, as I studied as, is a knowledge base which every
one can edit? How it differs then from Wikipedia?

DBpedia extracts structured data from wikipedia infoboxes and publishes it
as rdf.

If we need Berlin population, we get it from DBpedia via SPARQL. If we can
do it, why then we need Berlin resource in Wikidata?

This question will look strange for some, but I want to understand the
concept.
Thank you

Re: Wikidata vs DBpedia

Posted by kumar rohit <ku...@gmail.com>.
Hello Lorenz, if it can not be extracted like DBpedia then how can we use
it in our application. Several month ago, I asked a question, I think here,
that if some data is not available on DBpedia, what we should do and some
body respond that do use Wikidata.
How can we make use of Wikidata in our applications?

Re: Wikidata vs DBpedia

Posted by "Lorenz B." <bu...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>.

Re: Wikidata vs DBpedia

Posted by "A. Soroka" <aj...@virginia.edu>.
This would be a much better question for either the Wikidata mailing list [1] or the DBpedia support system [2].

---
A. Soroka
The University of Virginia Library

[2] http://wiki.dbpedia.org/support