Posted to users@flex.apache.org by bilbosax <wa...@comcast.net> on 2017/03/05 06:09:32 UTC

Screen DPI ANE?

My application is out of proof-of-concept and I am going to be writing the
final version.  I want everything to be on point right out of the gate, and
I need it to work on all devices reliably.  Laying out my components and
scaling them correctly will be key, and this all depends on screen DPI, but
unforunately, Capabilities.screenDPI is not a reliable way to get the
correct DPI.  Does anyone know of an ANE that fairly reliably reports the
correct DPI?  I have looked around, and remember reading about one
somewhere, but I have been unable to find one.

Thanks

Re: Screen DPI ANE?

Posted by bilbosax <wa...@comcast.net>.
I have a followup question for all of you guys who do a lot of mobile
development.  I am going to use CSS to scale the text for my app using
@media queries.  Is there any reason to include CSS beyond DPI's of 160,
240, and 320? It looks like AIR will create DPI buckets from 120-640 DPI. Do
you guys include CSS up to 640 DPI, or is this unnecessary? Are there
currently any mobile devices that have that high of a DPI?

Re: Screen DPI ANE?

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.
I've definitely seen this issue on android devices in the past, but I also
assume it may no longer be relevant in recent years.
We had an app that classified itself as either phone or tablet based on the
7 inch threshold, with different layouts etc, but calculating that from the
flash based api was not correct for all devices about 3-4 years ago (even
allowing a calculation range for variation :6.9 inches etc)

IIRC this definitely occurred on a 7 inch amazon Kindle device at one
point, I can't remember specifics about any others, it was quite some time
ago. At the time I made a homemade ANE to deal with it, and it is still in
current use in recent builds of the same app.

Re: Screen DPI ANE?

Posted by Vincent <vi...@after24.net>.
Yes, DPI values are hard coded for ios but it's not a real issue since
Capabilities.screenDPI returns the correct values.
For Android, thought, the returned value is dynamic and seems to be
accurate (at least on the 6 android devices I tested)

But unless you want to make accurate on screen measures,
Capabilities.screenDPI should be sufficient.

Cheers.

Le 05/03/2017  22:55, bilbosax a crit :

Re: Screen DPI ANE?

Re: Screen DPI ANE?

Posted by bilbosax <wa...@comcast.net>.
I guess the question now is, does Distriqt's ANE get the information in a
different or more reliable way than Capabilities.screenDPI at this point?
If both get it from what the OS reports, then I doubt they will be any
different.  Does anybody know? If not, I may have to contact them.

Re: Screen DPI ANE?

Posted by Vincent <vi...@after24.net>.
Hi,

The Application ANE from Distriqt has what you need :
https://airnativeextensions.com/extension/com.distriqt.Application

Cheers

Le 05/03/2017  20:14, bilbosax a crit :

Re: Screen DPI ANE?

Re: Screen DPI ANE?

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
The only time I've seen Capabilities.screenDPI report an unexpected value
was because the mobile device manufacturer actually chose the incorrect
value on purpose. It was a tablet and they wanted to scale apps to phone
resolution, for some reason. Once I knew that, the unexpected behavior I
was seeing made complete sense.

I've been using Capabilities.screenDPI for years, and I think you should
too because it actually works well. The reports of it being unreliable
are... unreliable. At least that's been my experience, and I've been
building AIR mobile apps since the beginning.

- Josh