Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Alexander Schatten <al...@gmx.net> on 2001/10/18 18:09:49 UTC

Strange C2 behaviour with Navigator 4.7

I tried to use C2 for publishing XML through XSLT

basically this works when connecting with IE5 or Opera 5, but not with
Netscape 4.7

the behaviour is very strange: Netscape displays nothing (white page),
but when I go to "show source" it displays the html code correctly.
again more strage: when I try: "Save as..." and save this html page,
netscape does not render to disc, then load it with the same netscape
browser window, it is displayed correctly???

any ideas??

thank you

Alex

Re: Strange C2 behaviour with Navigator 4.7

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Alexander Schatten wrote:

> I tried to use C2 for publishing XML through XSLT
>
> basically this works when connecting with IE5 or Opera 5, but not with
> Netscape 4.7
>
> the behaviour is very strange: Netscape displays nothing (white page),
> but when I go to "show source" it displays the html code correctly.
> again more strage: when I try: "Save as..." and save this html page,
> netscape does not render to disc, then load it with the same netscape
> browser window, it is displayed correctly???

Try serializing it as the mime-type "text/html".  This allows Netscape
to treat it like HTML--even if it is XML.  Netscape does not natively
handle XML, so it does not even try.  When you reload the page from
the filesystem, the OS is telling netscape that all .html files are
using the mime-type "text/html".

While netscape does have many faults, it is one of the few browsers that
properly respect the mime-type headers that are set by the server.  IE
does not, causing many issues with PDF files.

Posted by Liam Morley <lm...@WPI.EDU>.
This is... well, rather curious. Have you tried this on other systems
running Navigator 4.7? What sub-version of NS 4.7 are you running? As
I've had no problem under NS4.78 with my own Cocoon project.

Liam Morley