Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Amir N. Nashat" <an...@CJ.COM> on 2002/02/08 21:29:01 UTC

ActionServlet

Can anyone provide any detail as to the debug and detail fields for the ActionServlet class? Specifically, any values and what they represent would be helpful.

TIA

amir

Re: ActionServlet

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Amir N. Nashat wrote:

> Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 12:29:01 -0800
> From: Amir N. Nashat <an...@CJ.COM>
> To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: ActionServlet
>
> Can anyone provide any detail as to the debug and detail fields for the
> ActionServlet class? Specifically, any values and what they represent
> would be helpful.

The detailed descriptions of the servlet init properties for these is in
the JavaDocs for the ActionServlet class.

In Struts 1.0, these fields theoretically let you increase or decrease the
amount of detailed information logged by Struts itself as the application
is started up, and as requests are processed.  In practice, most people
just set them to zero (for no messages) or some arbitrarily high number
like 99 for all the detail.

In Struts 1.1, we've switched to using the commons-logging package (online
Javadocs at <http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/api/>) for the
internal logging that Struts does, so that the messages can be sent to
whatever underlying logging environment that your application is using
(such as Log4J or the logging built in to JDK 1.4), and you can configure
the logging level output for each class individually.  Therefore, these
two parameters no longer have any effect.

> TIA
>
> amir

Craig