Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by vi...@bt.com on 2008/09/25 18:39:09 UTC

Stripping down the JSP engine from Tomcat

Hi,

Is there anyways we can strip down the JSP engine from the Tomcat?

I have to develop an application which would process a request using
servlets, but I don't need the JSP engine as there is a requirement for
the Servlet engine to be as light weight as possible and also have a
small memory footprint.
I have tried removing the jasper jars but that fails tomcat from
starting, has anyone tried their hands on this, would greatly appreciate
your guidance.

Regards,
Vivek Jaiswal
TCS - BT Global Services

Re: Stripping down the JSP engine from Tomcat

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Is there anyways we can strip down the JSP engine from the Tomcat?

I have to develop an application which would process a request using
servlets, but I don't need the JSP engine as there is a requirement for
the Servlet engine to be as light weight as possible and also have a
small memory footprint.
I have tried removing the jasper jars but that fails tomcat from
starting, has anyone tried their hands on this, would greatly appreciate
your guidance.

Regards,
Vivek Jaiswal
TCS - BT Global Services

-----------------------------------

I started pulling TC into a modular form a while back but never split out
Jasper....
I took out Clustering and SSI...
What I've got is no longer TC... I'm skinning it and making it app like when
I get time.
TC is not very modular at present...

In the sandbox theres a chap working on a similar thing from a diff angle...
he's pulled out the valves so far
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/sandbox/tomcat-lite/

If you have a dev team that going to do serious work on this.... you may get
really lucky... but this is work... its not plug and play.
If so you welcome to what I done so far... but I want the lite back ;)

The only real POJO Application Server.

Re: Stripping down the JSP engine from Tomcat

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: vivek.jaiswal@bt.com [mailto:vivek.jaiswal@bt.com]
>> Subject: Stripping down the JSP engine from Tomcat
>>
>> I have tried removing the jasper jars but that fails
>> tomcat from starting
>
> What happens if you also remove the JSP servlet declaration from conf/web.xml?

And the Jasper listener from server.xml

Knowing what the start-up errors were would enable the list to provide a more
informed response.

Mark

RE: Stripping down the JSP engine from Tomcat

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: vivek.jaiswal@bt.com [mailto:vivek.jaiswal@bt.com]
> Subject: Stripping down the JSP engine from Tomcat
>
> I have tried removing the jasper jars but that fails
> tomcat from starting

What happens if you also remove the JSP servlet declaration from conf/web.xml?

 - Chuck