Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk> on 1997/11/15 21:10:01 UTC

[Fwd: general/1420: M$ compiles and uses Apache as Personal Web Server]

Hmmm - anyone got any views on this?

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: [Fwd: general/1420: M$ compiles and uses Apache as Personal Web Server]

Posted by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com>.
On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> I believe NCSA was public domain up until some version, so it depends
> what they ported.

1.3 was public domain. When the Apache group was born I think we checked
that we could treat the 1.3 code as public domain and base ours on it.

One of the reasons for Apache's creation was that word from NCSA was
their 1.4 would probably have a more restrictive license, and it did too
if I remember correctly.

Re: [Fwd: general/1420: M$ compiles and uses Apache as Personal Web Server]

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Posted by Gregory A Lundberg <lu...@vr.net>.
On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Marc Slemko wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> >
> > > Hmmm - anyone got any views on this?
> >
> > I think the submitter is probably crazy.  I can't look at it since I don't
> > have Windows here, but two million web servers have "Apache like"
> > commands.  "HEY, NCSA ripped off Apache!"  (well, ignoring the real
> > history...)
>
> Well, yeah, that certainly is the instant reaction. But if you are going
> to emulate NCSA, where do you start? And if you base it on MS code, why
> change the config?

Especially when the first version of the Personal Web Server came with
documentation explaining that it was a port of NCSA.  Actually, I believe
they said 'based upon' but it didn't look like they'd done much other than
get it to compile and run on such a lame .. uh .. environment  (I'm sorry,
I just can't call it an 'operating system').

The only interesting question is whether Microsoft adhered to the license
terms for NCSA when they ported it.  I remember asking myself that quite
some time ago but, since I've never seen the NCSA license terms, can't
say.  Even if they didn't, there's little that could be done about it.
Who can afford the lawyers it would take to press a license-infrigement
lawsuit against the company?

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              email: lundberg@vr.net [205.133.13.8]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653

Re: [Fwd: general/1420: M$ compiles and uses Apache as Personal Web Server]

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Chris Tacy wrote:

> hey folks,
>
> a quick question/request...
> if anyone has details, confirmation, whatever i would love to talk about
> it. i would love to write something about this for my times column.

Apparently, MS do indeed ship a port of NCSA, acquired from Vermeer with
FrontPage.

Posted by Chris Tacy <ch...@enginered.com>.
hey folks,

a quick question/request...
if anyone has details, confirmation, whatever i would love to talk about
it. i would love to write something about this for my times column.

-c

--
###################################
chris tacy	chris@enginered.com

Re: [Fwd: general/1420: M$ compiles and uses Apache as Personal Web Server]

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@elect6.jrc.it>.
On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Marc Slemko wrote:
> > On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> >
> > I think the submitter is probably crazy.  I can't look at it since I don't
> > have Windows here, but two million web servers have "Apache like"
> > commands.  "HEY, NCSA ripped off Apache!"  (well, ignoring the real
> > history...)
>
> Well, yeah, that certainly is the instant reaction. But if you are going
> to emulate NCSA, where do you start? And if you base it on MS code, why
> change the config?

:-) Sure I mean, does not all which is good come from redmond. But
seriously I could not help noticing that some of the interesting bugs
surrounding errors in the ErrorDocument, (which are not in NCSA) but
where in apache once; are also in the M$ clone. Furhtermore I am sure M$
has rewritten NCSA licence to make sure it fitted like a glove.

Dw.

Re: [Fwd: general/1420: M$ compiles and uses Apache as Personal Web Server]

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.