Posted to users@archiva.apache.org by Karl-Philipp Richter <kr...@posteo.de> on 2017/05/07 12:56:34 UTC

How to enforce SSL with trusted letsencrypt.org certificate in Apache Archiva standalone 2.2.1?

Hi,
I'd like to use/enforce SSL with a trusted letsencrypt.org certificate
for an Apache Archiva standalone 2.2.1 instance on Ubuntu 17.04.

I didn't find any information in the Archiva website/documentation. [The
setup for SSL usage on Jetty is
painful](http://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/current/configuring-ssl.html),
so I want to make sure that it's necessary to go through it, that it's
compatible with Archiva 2.2.1 (and possibly others) (no patched versions
of Jetty in Archiva, etc.) and that there's no easier way. I came across
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30871001/how-to-setup-apache-archiva-to-use-https-instead-of-http
and
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33229543/how-to-configure-ssl-with-archiva
which both suggest to use a httpd proxy which I don't want.

Don't hesitate answering on SO questions (if you support the
format/closeness) since Q&A is much more constructive than mailing lists.

-Kalle

Re: How to enforce SSL with trusted letsencrypt.org certificate in Apache Archiva standalone 2.2.1?

Posted by Martin <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi,

you have to setup jetty for SSL, if you would like to use the standalone
distribution. Or use a reverse proxy (apache httpd) in front of the server.
Or a more lightweight SSL forwarder like stunnel. But currently, we have no
out-of-the-box solution.
If you are more familiar with tomcat configuration, you may use the WAR file
of archiva and deploy it on a tomcat server.

Greetings

Martin