Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Ryan L. Sun" <li...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/14 00:32:03 UTC

IP whitelist?

Do you guys have any idea how to build up an effective and accurate IP
whitelist?
Since IP always cause false positive and I believe IP whitelist may be
a good idea.

Thanks.
-Ryan

Re: IP whitelist?

Posted by Duncan Hill <sa...@nacnud.force9.co.uk>.
On Friday 13 May 2005 23:51, Ryan L. Sun wrote:
> If an incomming email is from a IP listed in IP whitelist, we don't
> need to check it at all.
> The whitelist I mentioned here is a large-scale one. Say Microsoft and
> Yahoo's IPs should be added to IP whitelist since we suppose they
> won't send spams.

Uhh.. no.  Yahoo IPs do send spam, when a lovely 419 scammer actually uses a
real Yahoo account to send the scam.  It does get shut down fairly fast
though.. sometimes.

The only way you'll get an accurate whitelist is to determine with sending
servers you trust.  A greylisting engine -might- help you with this if you
bent it enough.  Once you know you trust a sending server, somehow you need
to tell your MTA to not feed that message to SA.  Alternately, feed it to SA
anyway, but make an RBL out of the whitelist and do an rbl check that scores
-ve points.

Then wait for that IP you trust to be misconfigured and turned into an open
relay.... :>  Hopefully, even though you trust an IP to not send you spam,
you don't trust it to not send you viruses.

Re: IP whitelist?

Posted by "Ryan L. Sun" <li...@gmail.com>.
If an incomming email is from a IP listed in IP whitelist, we don't
need to check it at all.
The whitelist I mentioned here is a large-scale one. Say Microsoft and
Yahoo's IPs should be added to IP whitelist since we suppose they
won't send spams.
Currently I am maintaining a RBL list, and hopefully the IP whitelist
will help to reduce false positive.

Re: IP whitelist?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.