Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Norman Breau <no...@nbsolutions.ca> on 2022/06/07 13:32:14 UTC

Dependabot

Hi Team,

Just curious on other thoughts on Dependabot now that Apache enabled
them across the repos. Do we review and merge them as is? Should we
build PRs like https://github.com/apache/cordova-js/pull/255 to
regenerate package-lock which will result in dependent bot to close
their PRs. Case-by-case basis?

Personally I think I favour the manual PR approach as it will squash
several dependent PRs into one, and dependabot is smart enough to notice
when their PR is out-dated.

Cheers,
Norman

Re: Dependabot

Posted by Bryan Ellis <er...@apache.org>.
I think the version difference is not the main point and was a bad example. I had bumped the version within minutes before that PR.

I don’t mind if Dependabot's service is on, but usually, I will rebuild the file myself and skip the Dependabot PRs.

I find their PRs submission a little annoying. The service seems to submit a couple of PRs, and then after mering in one, more (5-10) are created within seconds.

I didn't want to deal with a chain of PRs and find it easier to submit a single PR that bumped everything.

As far as I remember, their PRs only affect the package-lock.json file, which is a developer-only file. It is not released within the final package to end-users.

Keeping the service enabled could still be nice-to-have as the PRs provide notices of updates. The PR also usualy contain the change logs of the dependency.

As for accepting and merging the Dependabot PRs or creating our own, I don't believe is something we need to worry too much about. I think however any individual who wants to handle it is acceptable. And could be handled case-by-case. If someone wants to sit there and go through the chain of PRs that it submits, until their stop submitting PRs, that is fine too.

Re: Dependabot

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.