Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Mark London <mr...@psfc.mit.edu> on 2017/12/11 15:44:19 UTC

Flakey spam email. How to filter?

I'm getting a lot of flakey spam messages,  that don't trigger any
significant spamassassin rules, even though it obviously looks really bogus.

Here's an example.   Any suggestions?

https://pastebin.com/bZUt0ThS

These spams are being sent to my gmail account, and then forwarded to my
work address  I tried stripping off all the forwarding headers, but it
doesn't trigger any RBLs

Thanks for any help.

- Mark

Re: Flakey spam email. How to filter?

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.
On 12/11/2017 02:55 PM, Tobi wrote:
> @Dave
> you're sure that trusted_networks must be changed in case of fetching mails? I fetch mines from gmail too and sa always has the correct first non trusted relay. Without changing *_networks. With fetching you do not get an smtp received header so sa jumps to the next relay. And (at least from what I see in my gmail mails) the first smtp received header without a private ip address is the one that handsoff to gmail aka the one to feed to sa
>
> Chees
>
> tobi

I checked my Gmail account with a mail client and you are correct.
Google is not adding a Received header for their own mail server so that
"hop" doesn't have to be skipped over by SA.  I guess I was thinking
about the forwarding in my mind that would add that "hop" in the
Received headers.  Thanks for the clarification.

--
David Jones

Re: Flakey spam email. How to filter?

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 21:55:08 +0100 (GMT+01:00)
Tobi wrote:

> @Dave
> you're sure that trusted_networks must be changed in case of fetching
> mails? I fetch mines from gmail too and sa always has the correct
> first non trusted relay. Without changing *_networks. With fetching
> you do not get an smtp received header so sa jumps to the next relay.

There's special handling for fetchmail that causes the network
parsing to restart inside the remote network. getmail works because SA
can't parse it's header and just skips over it. Other retrievers that
'just work' are probably unparsable too.

The only problem is that it requires some vigilance in case an SA
user sees the unparsable relay as a bug and submits a patch to bodge
the header into a parsable form. This happened with getmail last year.

Bug 6420 had a patch to make the fetchmail support generic, but it
wasn't committed.

Re: Flakey spam email. How to filter?

Posted by Tobi <ja...@gmx.ch>.
@Dave

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 11 Dec 2017, at 10:44 (-0500), Mark London wrote:

> I'm getting a lot of flakey spam messages,  that don't trigger any
> significant spamassassin rules, even though it obviously looks really
> bogus.
>
> Here's an example.   Any suggestions?
>
> https://pastebin.com/bZUt0ThS
>
> These spams are being sent to my gmail account, and then forwarded to
> my work address  I tried stripping off all the forwarding headers, but
> it doesn't trigger any RBLs

As Dave said, this is deeply suboptimal for filtering. Unless you've got
some way to make SA look past the Google relays, you'll never see DNSBL
hits for the SMTP source, because you'll only see Google. For URIDNSBLs,
on body URIs you might get better luck but if you're early in the spam
run you might not.

FWIW, Dave's scoring is highly customized and uses KAM's additional
rules, but even a closer-to-default rig thinks that is spam:

  pts rule name              description
---- ---------------------- ---------------------------

-0.0 SPF_HELO_PASS          SPF: HELO matches SPF record
  0.9 DKIM_ADSP_NXDOMAIN     No valid author signature and domain not in
DNS
  0.7 MIME_HTML_ONLY         BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts
-1.0 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 0 to 1%
                             [score: 0.0047]
  0.8 HTML_TAG_BALANCE_HEAD  BODY: HTML has unbalanced "head" tags
  1.5 BODY_8BITS             BODY: Body includes 8 consecutive 8-bit
characters
  0.1 DKIM_SIGNED            Message has a DKIM or DK signature, not
necessarily valid
  0.4 HTML_MIME_NO_HTML_TAG  HTML-only message, but there is no HTML tag
  0.0 T_DKIM_INVALID         DKIM-Signature header exists but is not
valid
  2.3 S25R_4                 T_S25R: Bottom of rDNS ends w/ num, next
lvl has num-num

Note that bad Bayes score, which is because my system never sees this
sort of spam.
Also: I noticed something interesting in that spam that I'm working on
rules for...

--
Bill Cole
Currently Seeking Steady Work: https://linkedin.com/in/billcole

Re: Flakey spam email. How to filter?

Posted by Pedro David Marco <pe...@yahoo.com>.
Mark you are right: mix of upper and lower letters + huge div height (500px) + HTML email with no HTML tag + suspicious URLs + suspicious (to me) mailer (i cannot find much in google about moonray mailer)...
i wish SA had a rule to test only the HTML tags... (rawbody - body)...   maybe this can be a good idea for a plugin... does anyone know if it does already exists?

----PedroD

Re: Flakey spam email. How to filter?

Posted by Mark London <mr...@psfc.mit.edu>.

On 12/11/2017 10:59 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 11.12.2017 um 16:44 schrieb Mark London:
>> I'm getting a lot of flakey spam messages,  that don't trigger any
>> significant spamassassin rules, even though it obviously looks really
>> bogus.
>> Here's an example.   Any suggestions?
>> https://pastebin.com/bZUt0ThS
>> These spams are being sent to my gmail account, and then forwarded to
>> my work address  I tried stripping off all the forwarding headers,
>> but it doesn't trigger any RBLs
>
> don't mangle samples!
> you make it impossible to helping others
> S25R_4 is pretty sure caused by your touching
> Content analysis details:   (10.0 points, 5.5 required)
>
>  pts rule name              description
> ---- ----------------------
>  3.0 DKIM_ADSP_NXDOMAIN     No valid author signature and domain not
> in DNS
>  1.5 BAYES_50               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 40 to 60%
>                             [score: 0.5000]
>  0.5 MIME_HTML_ONLY         BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts
>  1.5 HTML_TAG_BALANCE_HEAD  BODY: HTML has unbalanced "head" tags
>  0.0 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
>  0.1 DKIM_SIGNED            Message has a DKIM or DK signature, not
> necessarily valid
>  0.0 T_DKIM_INVALID         DKIM-Signature header exists but is not valid
>  0.0 T_OBFU_ATTACH_MISSP    Obfuscated attachment type and misspaced From
>  1.0 HTML_MIME_NO_HTML_TAG  HTML-only message, but there is no HTML tag
>  2.3 S25R_4                 T_S25R: Bottom of rDNS ends w/ num, next
> lvl has num-num
>  0.1 BOGOFILTER_UNSURE      BOGOFILTER: message is Unsure with
> bogofilter-score
>                              0.5000

Sorry, I tried to strip off the forwarding headers.   But for some
reason, that triggers 25R_4.   Here's the full email.

https://pastebin.com/mssjURra

I wonder why it doesn't trigger any image rules.

HTML_TAG_BALANCE_HEAD was not enabled rule for me, so I enabled it.   I
also increased the score of DKIM_ADSP_NXDOMAIN.

Still, it seems so bogus an email, because of it's manually created html
(href and img includes both upper and lower case characters), that a
more  major rule should be catching it, maybe?

- Mark