Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Rick Yorgason <ri...@ldagames.com> on 2008/04/02 12:11:10 UTC

Subversion 1.5 beta1, "malformed URL for repository" when merging over http

Hey guys,

I'm running a 1.4 WebDAV server with plain old http and a 1.5 beta1
client (both the official client and TortoiseSVN) on a 64-bit version of
Vista.

I can checkout, update, and commit stuff just fine, but when I try to
merge a range of revisions from the trunk to my feature branch, I get an
error that reads "malformed URL for repository" (which, I have to admit,
isn't very useful).

I *have* found a work-around.  If I change the target address from:

http://example.com/whatever/trunk

to:

http://username@example.com/whatever/trunk

then works without complaints, both in the command line client and Tortoise.

I wasn't able to find any posting about this bug, so I figured I'd post
it.  Let me know if you want me to check anything else.

Cheers,

-Rick-

Re: Subversion 1.5 beta1, "malformed URL for repository" when merging over http

Posted by Rick Yorgason <ri...@ldagames.com>.
The Windows build of beta1 doesn't seem to come with ra_serf.  That's on
my client; I'm pretty sure the server is using neon as well, but I'll
double check when I can access the machine later tonight.

-Rick-

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net>.

--
David Glasser | glasser@davidglasser.net | http://www.davidglasser.net/

Re: Subversion 1.5 beta1, "malformed URL for repository" when merging over http

Posted by Rick Yorgason <ri...@ldagames.com>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:02 PM, David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net> wrote:
>  > On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 5:11 AM, Rick Yorgason <ri...@ldagames.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > > Hey guys,
>  >  >
>  >  >  I'm running a 1.4 WebDAV server with plain old http and a 1.5 beta1 client
>  >  > (both the official client and TortoiseSVN) on a 64-bit version of Vista.
>  >  >
>  >  >  I can checkout, update, and commit stuff just fine, but when I try to merge
>  >  > a range of revisions from the trunk to my feature branch, I get an error
>  >  > that reads "malformed URL for repository" (which, I have to admit, isn't
>  >  > very useful).
>  >  >
>  >  >  I *have* found a work-around.  If I change the target address from:
>  >  >
>  >  >  http://example.com/whatever/trunk
>  >  >
>  >  >  to:
>  >  >
>  >  >  http://username@example.com/whatever/trunk
>  >  >
>  >  >  then works without complaints, both in the command line client and
>  >  > Tortoise.
>  >  >
>  >  >  I wasn't able to find any posting about this bug, so I figured I'd post it.
>  >  > Let me know if you want me to check anything else.
>  >
>  >  Can you show the full command line you're typing rather than just the URL?
>
>  Sure.  Here is a transcript:

Sorry, David.  Thought that email was from Rick to me.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Subversion 1.5 beta1, "malformed URL for repository" when merging over http

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:02 PM, David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 5:11 AM, Rick Yorgason <ri...@ldagames.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey guys,
>  >
>  >  I'm running a 1.4 WebDAV server with plain old http and a 1.5 beta1 client
>  > (both the official client and TortoiseSVN) on a 64-bit version of Vista.
>  >
>  >  I can checkout, update, and commit stuff just fine, but when I try to merge
>  > a range of revisions from the trunk to my feature branch, I get an error
>  > that reads "malformed URL for repository" (which, I have to admit, isn't
>  > very useful).
>  >
>  >  I *have* found a work-around.  If I change the target address from:
>  >
>  >  http://example.com/whatever/trunk
>  >
>  >  to:
>  >
>  >  http://username@example.com/whatever/trunk
>  >
>  >  then works without complaints, both in the command line client and
>  > Tortoise.
>  >
>  >  I wasn't able to find any posting about this bug, so I figured I'd post it.
>  > Let me know if you want me to check anything else.
>
>  Can you show the full command line you're typing rather than just the URL?

Sure.  Here is a transcript:

$ svn co http://subclipse.tigris.org/svn/subclipse/branches/1.2.x/svnClientAdapter
svnClientAdapter
A    svnClientAdapter/test
A    svnClientAdapter/test/svnserve.conf
A    svnClientAdapter/test/passwd
A    svnClientAdapter/test/lib
A    svnClientAdapter/test/lib/emma.jar
A    svnClientAdapter/test/lib/emma_ant.jar
A    svnClientAdapter/.classpath
A    svnClientAdapter/license.txt
A    svnClientAdapter/.project
A    svnClientAdapter/changelog.txt
[snip]
 U   svnClientAdapter
Checked out revision 3783.

$ svn merge -r3113:3120
http://subclipse.tigris.org/svn/subclipse/trunk/svnClientAdapter
svnClientAdapter
--- Merging r3114 through r3120 into 'svnClientAdapter':
A    svnClientAdapter/src/main/org/tigris/subversion/svnclientadapter/ISVNMergeInfo.java
U    svnClientAdapter/src/main/org/tigris/subversion/svnclientadapter/ISVNClientAdapter.java
A    svnClientAdapter/src/main/org/tigris/subversion/svnclientadapter/SVNRevisionRange.java
A    svnClientAdapter/src/main/org/tigris/subversion/svnclientadapter/SVNCopySource.java
Conflict discovered in
'svnClientAdapter/src/main/org/tigris/subversion/svnclientadapter/javahl/AbstractJhlClientAdapter.java'.
Select: (p) postpone, (df) diff-full, (e) edit,
        (h) help for more options: p
C    svnClientAdapter/src/main/org/tigris/subversion/svnclientadapter/javahl/AbstractJhlClientAdapter.java
U    svnClientAdapter/src/main/org/tigris/subversion/svnclientadapter/javahl/JhlConverter.java
A    svnClientAdapter/src/main/org/tigris/subversion/svnclientadapter/javahl/JhlMergeInfo.java

$

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

RE: Handling of .svn

Posted by "Miller, Hugh" <Hu...@chevron.com>.
Thanks! Where can I go to look at the work being done on this ?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Erik Huelsmann wrote:
>  we
> had this developer which had the layout for the perfect working copy
> all in his had. He promised to write it all down for about a year and
> a half, then left the project. Now he's allegedly back, but possibly
> he's still lacking time to do what it takes on this front.

Do you mean me? :)
Goodness, I don't think I ever promised anything about WCs, other than
thinking out loud about the sorts of cleaning agents we'll need. :)

>> I'm really worried that we'd get a new WC that assumes the current
>> repository model with all its quirks, and have to do yet another new WC for
>> svn-2.0.
>>

> It wouldn't be new to have to invent the same thing several times:
> Most people learn and develop incrementally. For me, that's perfectly
> fine.

Incremental is fine. What I meant is that it has to be "incrementable"
(is that a word?), unlike the current WC code, which is "rewritable". :)

-- Brane

Re: Handling of .svn

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> wrote:
> Charles Acknin wrote:
>
> > I don't think he is, there's been talk about wc-ng and you'll find a
> > design note in notes/wc-ng-design.
> >

>  Yes, I skimmed over that and frankly it looks like another
> "not-invented-here" reflex. So I've reserved my comments until I have more
> time to really dig into that.

Well, as things stand, *any* direction is better than continuing with
the current code. We have *53* issues outstanding which can't be
solved in the current framework (for the most part). It could be that
some developers are devining inferior solutions, but then again: we
had this developer which had the layout for the perfect working copy
all in his had. He promised to write it all down for about a year and
a half, then left the project. Now he's allegedly back, but possibly
he's still lacking time to do what it takes on this front. That noted,
I think the other developers are still anxious to leave the current wc
behind and are taking faith into their own hands. Sounds plausible,
not?

>  I'm really worried that we'd get a new WC that assumes the current
> repository model with all its quirks, and have to do yet another new WC for
> svn-2.0.

It wouldn't be new to have to invent the same thing several times:
Most people learn and develop incrementally. For me, that's perfectly
fine.

Any comments on the doc are very much welcomed btw: some have studied
other versioning systems, some have studied the problems in our own.
Together we should be able to put something good (or even great)
together.

Bye,

Erik.

Re: Handling of .svn

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Re: Handling of .svn

Posted by Charles Acknin <ch...@gmail.com>.
I don't think he is, there's been talk about wc-ng and you'll find a
design note in notes/wc-ng-design.
As for the date, I think "later this year" is a bit overoptimistic.

Charles

Re: Handling of .svn

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> When we rewrite the entire working copy logic from scratch later this
> year...

Muh? You're kidding, aren't you.

-- Brane

Re: Handling of .svn

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.

Re: Handling of .svn

Posted by "Ph. Marek" <ph...@bmlv.gv.at>.
Hello Hugh,

On Mittwoch, 2. April 2008, Miller, Hugh (hdmi) wrote:
> Is there any possibility to offer a treatment of the .svn folders that
> does not keep them in the checkout tree, but puts them in another,
> specifiable place ?
you ask a very specific question.

I don't know whether that works for you, but depending on your use-case
(software deployment - many files, meta-data, fast, space-saving [=no .svn!])
you might be interested in FSVS (http://fsvs.tigris.org).

HTH!

Regards,

Phil

Re: Handling of .svn

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
Miller, Hugh (hdmi) wrote:
> Is there any possibility to offer a treatment of the .svn folders that
> does not keep them in the checkout tree, but puts them in another,
> specifiable place ?

I don't know the answer to your question, but in the future, could you
follow the guidelines here:

Specifically, please don't start a new thread simply by replying to an
existing one and changing the subject.

Thanks,
-Hyrum

Handling of .svn

Posted by "Miller, Hugh (hdmi)" <Hu...@chevron.com>.

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Rick Yorgason <ri...@ldagames.com> wrote:

>  I'm running a 1.4 WebDAV server with plain old http and a 1.5 beta1 client
> (both the official client and TortoiseSVN) on a 64-bit version of Vista.
>
>  I can checkout, update, and commit stuff just fine, but when I try to merge
> a range of revisions from the trunk to my feature branch, I get an error
> that reads "malformed URL for repository" (which, I have to admit, isn't
> very useful).
>
>  I *have* found a work-around.  If I change the target address from:
>
>  http://example.com/whatever/trunk
>
>  to:
>
>  http://username@example.com/whatever/trunk
>
>  then works without complaints, both in the command line client and
> Tortoise.
>
>  I wasn't able to find any posting about this bug, so I figured I'd post it.
> Let me know if you want me to check anything else.

I have regularly been performing these kinds of merges against a 1.3
repository (Subclipse repos on tigris.org).  I imagine TortoiseSVN
does similar merges using their repos.  Wouldn't that seem to indicate
there is not a problem in SVN itself?

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard