Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 2003/03/28 21:34:52 UTC

prototype for worker graceful *shutdown*

the attached patch, based on one bill started, presses SIGINT
into service as a 'graceful shutdown' signal.  (alternative
suggestions highly welcomed.)  if the config directive
GracefulShutdownTimeout is set (default is 10), when the
server is sent a SIGINT it will go into shutdown mode but
not actually go all the way down until that many seconds have
passed.  SIGTERM works normally for a graceless shutdown.

i'd rather not re-add another signal, but oh well.. the
alternative is to set GracefulShutdownTimeout to zero as
the default (either in .c or .conf) to keep the current
behaviour -- but then to take advantage of it you'd need to
edit the .conf file, do a restart, and then do a shutdown.
bleah.

expansion to other mpms and command-line interface waiting
for non-vetoed acceptance of this proof-of-concept.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: prototype for worker graceful *shutdown*

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> SIGUSR2?

i considered that.  unfortunately, i think it is less than
universal in its presence on all our platforms.  maybe
SIGSTOP?  its canonical interactive use is obviated by
being in a daemon environment.. except i think that would
be problematic when debugging interactively.

> SIGINT should definitely not be used.  -- justin

why not?  there are precedents; named, for example.  i couldn't
see any place we're using ourselves; did i miss something?
or is it the same problem with interactive debuggined processing
and not having an instant shutdown on ctrl/c?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Friday, March 28, 2003 3:34 PM -0500 Rodent of Unusual Size