Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Erez Efrati <er...@netmedia.net.il> on 2004/02/13 22:21:19 UTC

what version of Struts to use?

I am currently using the released version of 1.1, should I move to 1.2?
is it released yet? If not, when is it going to be and is it stable?

Thanks a lot,

Erez

Re: what version of Struts to use?

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 9:42 PM +0000 2/13/04, Niall Pemberton wrote:
>I'd stick with 1.1 for now.
>
>1.2 is not released yet - last posting I saw about 1.2 in the development
>list was this
>
>http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-dev%40jakarta.apache.org/msg21358.html

I'm a build-from-CVS kind of guy, so it's hard for me to recall, but
I don't think there are any major features you'd buy using anything
since 1.1.  Also, many deprecated members have been removed since
1.1, so moving to 1.2 might take some getting used to.

However, the development of Struts is not so radical that you have
much to fear in terms of stability.  The nightly builds will have bug
fixes and feature enhancements that (to me) make it preferable to
keep up rather than use any older version.

Although the officially supported build tool is Ant, it's extremely
easy to build from CVS using Maven, and it is completely functional
for compilation of Jars; Ant still does the best job of building
documentation and the examples, but most folks don't need to build
that all the time.  Ant is fine for building the dist also, although
it is more work to configure a local copy of build.properties for the
first time.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska