Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2021/05/10 12:01:59 UTC

[PROPOSAL] homepages + mailing lists for communities of interests

Hi,

Following up on recent discussions I have created a proposal here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/Communities+of+Interests+hosted+by+the+comdev+PMC

Feedback is welcome and I'm planning to put it up for vote by the
comdev PMC members once discussion is over, ideally next Monday.

The gist of it is: comdev offers a homepage under
community.apache.org/c/<name> and a mailing list at
<name>@community.apache.org for communities of interests of ASF
projects if they can provide 3 ASF Members to oversee those resources.

-Bertrand

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote on 5/10/21 8:01 AM:
> Hi,
>
> Following up on recent discussions I have created a proposal here:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/Communities+of+Interests+hosted+by+the+comdev+PMC

+1

It would be really useful to expand the intent with examples - i.e. this
is for geospatial standards, or healthcare API coordination amongst
several Apache projects.  That is specific technical (or standards,
organizational, etc.) areas of interest that several projects want to
specifically coordinate their work with.

Also, I'd suggest that formally requesting an interest area be done with
a specific JIRA ticket, so the setup tasks can be clearly delineated and
we'll have an easier to find record of who originally created / signed
up to oversee each interest page.

--
- Shane
  ComDev PMC

Posted by Javi Roman <jr...@gmail.com>.
Regardless of my doubts about how to do it (if I have understood it
correctly)

+1
--
Javi Roman

Twitter: @javiromanrh
GitHub: github.com/javiroman
Linkedin: es.linkedin.com/in/javiroman
Big Data Blog: dataintensive.info

Posted by Matthew Sacks <ma...@matthewsacks.com>.
+1

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 4:03 PM Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/Special+Interests+Groups+hosted+by+the+comdev+PMC
>
> Feedback is welcome, especially as there's still interest after all this time...

Sorry, that should have been "if" there's still interest after all this time...

If nobody's interested at this time I'll let this sit, we can always
create those homepages later once there's actual interest.

-Bertrand

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 2:01 PM Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> Following up on recent discussions I have created a proposal here:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/Communities+of+Interests+hosted+by+the+comdev+PMC

This has slipped through the cracks of my long todo list, but I have
finally refined the proposal according to the comments in this thread,
and renamed it to Special Interests Groups which is more common for
such things:

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Sorry that I took so long to reply.

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 8:11 PM Javi Roman <jr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...To create a community of interest:
>
> 1. A particular ASF project must initiate the request for creation.
> 2. To do this, the project must nominate two PMCs who will be responsible
> for maintaining the page and overseeing the mailing list.

Yes, that's how it's described at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/Special+Interests+Groups+hosted+by+the+comdev+PMC
- asking for 3 PMC members actually.

> ...If this is the case, then an ex-PPMC of a project removed from the
> Incubator (as in my case), cannot initiate the request to create the
> community, and cannot be part of the maintenance of the space nor moderate
> the mailing list. Is this correct?...

Yes, I think it's easier for this PMC in terms of oversight if we
require the shepherds to be PMC members.

But that doesn't prevent anyone from participating later, the homepage
will be editable by supplying pull requests to
https://github.com/apache/comdev-site and anyone can participate in
the mailing lists. I hope that works for you!

-Bertrand

Posted by Matthew Sacks <ma...@matthewsacks.com>.
+1

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 11:11 AM Javi Roman <jr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I probably don't understand it well. To create a community of interest:
>
> 1. A particular ASF project must initiate the request for creation.
> 2. To do this, the project must nominate two PMCs who will be responsible
> for maintaining the page and overseeing the mailing list.
>
> If this is the case, then an ex-PPMC of a project removed from the
> Incubator (as in my case), cannot initiate the request to create the
> community, and cannot be part of the maintenance of the space nor moderate
> the mailing list. Is this correct?
> --
> Javi Roman
>
> Twitter: @javiromanrh
> GitHub: github.com/javiroman
> Linkedin: es.linkedin.com/in/javiroman
> Big Data Blog: dataintensive.info
>

> On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 2:02 PM Bertrand Delacretaz <
> bdelacretaz@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Following up on recent discussions I have created a proposal here:
> >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/Communities+of+Interests+hosted+by+the+comdev+PMC
> >
> > Feedback is welcome and I'm planning to put it up for vote by the
> > comdev PMC members once discussion is over, ideally next Monday.
> >
> > The gist of it is: comdev offers a homepage under
> > community.apache.org/c/<name> and a mailing list at
> > <name>@community.apache.org for communities of interests of ASF
> > projects if they can provide 3 ASF Members to oversee those resources.
> >
> > -Bertrand

Thank you, Matthew

Posted by Javi Roman <jr...@gmail.com>.