Posted to dev@ibatis.apache.org by Richard Sullivan <it...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/19 17:24:10 UTC

Fwd: developer guide for Data Mapper 2.2 seems to be missing section numbering

Hi folks,

The section numbering for the developer guide of Data Mapper 2.2 seems
to have got lost.
This makes reading the documentation quite difficult.

I downloaded from the guide from
http://cvs.apache.org/dist/ibatis/ibatis.java/docs/iBATIS-SqlMaps-2_en.pdf
which is the link on the "iBATIS for Java Downloads" page.

The OpenOffice version from Subversion seems to have the same problem.
Hopefully somebody can fix this (I am a complete ibatis newbie).

Hope it helps,
Richard Sullivan

Re: developer guide for Data Mapper 2.2 seems to be missing section numbering

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
Ah, that explains it.  Richard, you were looking at a different document,
mostly written by Ted Husted for the .NET version -- but it's fairly cross
platform.

That document is available under the .NET download section.

http://ibatis.apache.org/dotnetdownloads.cgi

Clinton

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
We could also revisit the idea of using the Confluence wiki for
documentation....it can export to PDF (but only a page at a time I think).

Clinton

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.
Oh, come on now...who edits the XML by hand?

Let's look at it if you are using somthing like XMLMind's (free) XXE:

Edit > Insert After... > programlisting > (paste sample code)

No, it's not "mother-in-law simple", but we're all pretty technical
people or we'd be using Access to "develop applications" instead of
Java or C#.

This argument doesn't hold much water, IMO. :-)

However, on the flip side of this, we can then use SVN to easily see
the changes in the file over time. We can also take that example code
and generate HTML help for windows, Java help, an Eclipse help file, a
M$ Word doc, an RTF, a PDF, or plain old html.

Larry

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.
Well, if he is still opposed, we can suggest M$ Word, then when he
says "GAH! NO! PLEASE! ANYTHING BUT THAT!!!" We can slip this idea in
under the radar. ;-)

On a serious note, I think there are advantages to using docbook.

I used XmlMind's XXE and it is a decent (free) editor. It's not as
easy to use as OO, but it's not an 800lb gorilla either.

Larry

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.
I just talked to the guys at XMLMind, and it sounds like they are
willing to give Apache members licenses to the Pro version of XXE (and
have in some cases already).

http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/proedition.html

http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/features.html

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.
On 9/21/06, Richard Sullivan <it...@gmail.com> wrote:
> my wife and baby need some love and attention too.

Speaking of which..any news Mr. Begin? Isn't your little project
running behind schedule now?

Larry

Re: developer guide for Data Mapper 2.2 seems to be missing section numbering

Posted by Richard Sullivan <it...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
Wait a minute...you're the perfect person to ask Richard!

Since you've been fairly critical of the docs and you think section numbers
are important:

    Why haven't *you* added the section numbers?

You can find Open Office at:

    http://www.OpenOffice.org

You can find the source docs at

    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ibatis/trunk/java/docs/en/

Attach your mods to a JIRA issue and we'll implement them.

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
Dude, I seriously can't believe the section numbers are so important to
you.  I've never noticed section numbers in anything I've read.  Cest la
vie.  ;-)

In any case, we shouldn't confuse the tools and formats with content.
Obviously any of the aforementioned approaches can include section numbers.
Good or bad documentation can be written with any tool.

Posted by Richard Sullivan <it...@gmail.com>.
>>I seriously can't believe the section numbers are so important to you.
Of course not.  I wouldn't have cared about numbering except that
while I found the content of the devguide very good I had difficulty
navigating it.   I wanted to jump in to something like "complex
mapping" but I found it difficult to figure out where one topic ended
and another began.  The numbering in the .NOT version solved this
problem nicely.   Maybe more whitespace, pagebreaks and a bigger
difference in font sizes in the headings would work too.

Anyway I'll stop whining now and RTFM with or without the numbers.

Don't forget to check out the Wiki over Docbook idea from my last mail
though ;=)

Ciao,

Richard

Re: developer guide for Data Mapper 2.2 seems to be missing section numbering

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.
Hey cool, my bad. :)

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.
Haha, what are you saying?

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
I'm not resistant ... I just haven't heard any better alternatives.  Here
are some criteria (my assumptions) to consider.

(I'm going to reserve my right make up some words here ;-)

Developer/Author criteria:

   - Accessible - OOo is free.

Posted by Jeff Butler <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.