Posted to builds@apache.org by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org> on 2010/10/17 11:07:45 UTC

[Hudson] File on Windows can't be deleted

Hi,

a build [1] on the Windows slave fails because a file can't be deleted:

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Failed to clean project: Failed to delete
C:\hudson\hudson-slave\workspace\dir-apacheds-jdk16-win\trunk\i18n\target\apacheds-i18n-1.5.8-SNAPSHOT.jar

Are there any locks on that file? Can you please try to delete it by hand?

Thanks,
Stefan

[1] https://hudson.apache.org/hudson/job/dir-apacheds-jdk16-win

Re: [Hudson] File on Windows can't be deleted

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the tipp.

Unfortunately I get the same error:

hudson.util.IOException2: remote file operation failed:
c:\hudson\hudson-slave\workspace\dir-apacheds-jdk16-win at
hudson.remoting.Channel@72cef095:windows1
	hudson.FilePath.act(FilePath.java:749)
root cause
java.io.IOException: Unable to delete
c:\hudson\hudson-slave\workspace\dir-apacheds-jdk16-win\trunk\core\target\apacheds-core-1.5.8-SNAPSHOT.jar
	hudson.Util.deleteFile(Util.java:260)
	hudson.Util.deleteRecursive(Util.java:302)
	hudson.Util.deleteContentsRecursive(Util.java:221)

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org> wrote:
> I think there is again a stale JVM process. Could you please create a
> thread dump of the process and then kill the process?

Killed and thread dump here:
http://people.apache.org/~ngn/ads-dump.txt

/niklas

Re: [Hudson] File on Windows can't be deleted

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> Running org.apache.directory.server.suites.StockServerISuite
> Process 1287375949406 is killed.
> Process timeout out after 900 seconds
>
> I disabled the job and will investigate the problem offline.

I fixed lot of issues an run the build again on windows1. But (of
course) the same (or similar) problem happened again.

[1] https://hudson.apache.org/hudson/view/A-F/view/Directory/job/dir-apacheds-jdk16-win/53/org.apache.directory.server$apacheds-server-integ/console

Re: [Hudson] File on Windows can't be deleted

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org> wrote:
> So I guess there is another stale JVM process, could you kill it once again?

Killed.

/niklas

Re: [Hudson] File on Windows can't be deleted

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Thanks Niclas and Sebb

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 12:27 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Note that Java on Windows locks jars on the classpath, so it could be
>> that there is a stale process which still has the file open.
>
> As Sebb noted, there is a stale JVM holding on to that file (and a lot
> of other Apache DS jars).  It was started on October 13 (now seems to
> be deleted in Hudson), with the following command line:
> c:\hudson\tools\java\latest-1.6-64\jre\bin\java  -Xmx1024m -jar
> C:\Users\hudson\AppData\Local\Temp\surefirebooter6057665385176864901.jar
> C:\Users\hudson\AppData\Local\Temp\surefire4636072868886298356tmp
> C:\Users\hudson\AppData\Local\Temp\surefire846828774278823902tmp
>
> In the directory:
> C:\hudson\hudson-slave\workspace\dir-apacheds-jdk16-win\trunk\server-integ\
>
> Not sure if this helps you track down what part of the build which
> causes this behavior.

At least it's a starting point.

Last night the build started again and while building the server-integ
module (that contains our integration test) the surefire process was
killed after 15 minutes.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 12:27 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> C:\hudson\hudson-slave\workspace\dir-apacheds-jdk16-win\trunk\i18n\target\apacheds-i18n-1.5.8-SNAPSHOT.jar
>>
>> Are there any locks on that file? Can you please try to delete it by hand?
>
> Note that Java on Windows locks jars on the classpath, so it could be
> that there is a stale process which still has the file open.

As Sebb noted, there is a stale JVM holding on to that file (and a lot
of other Apache DS jars).  It was started on October 13 (now seems to
be deleted in Hudson), with the following command line:
c:\hudson\tools\java\latest-1.6-64\jre\bin\java  -Xmx1024m -jar
C:\Users\hudson\AppData\Local\Temp\surefirebooter6057665385176864901.jar
C:\Users\hudson\AppData\Local\Temp\surefire4636072868886298356tmp
C:\Users\hudson\AppData\Local\Temp\surefire846828774278823902tmp

In the directory:
C:\hudson\hudson-slave\workspace\dir-apacheds-jdk16-win\trunk\server-integ\

Not sure if this helps you track down what part of the build which
causes this behavior.

I've now killed the process which should have released the file.

/niklas

Re: [Hudson] File on Windows can't be deleted

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.