Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/21 17:01:21 UTC

Configuring Roller to use GMail SMTP server (Was Re: Activating email with a Roller installation)

Thanks, I now have Roller trunk successfully deployed to Tomcat using
the Derby database.  I'm trying unsuccessfully so far to use my Google
email account for sending comment/moderation notifications.  Google may
be more challenging because it uses port 465 (SSL) instead of 25.  (I
haven't tried any other SMTP servers.)

I would much prefer the simpler roller-custom.properties instead of JNDI
config, but according to this email[1] from 2009, I need to use JNDI
because Google mail wants SSL for its SMTP server.  Is that still the
case?  If so I can rule out trying to get config working via
roller-custom.properties:

mail.configurationType=properties
mail.hostname=smtp.googlemail.com  (also tried smtp.gmail.com with no
success).
mail.username=glen.mazza@gmail.com
mail.port=465
mail.password=xxxxxxxxx

I can't even get Roller to start if I set the "mail.port" value to 465
(app seems to freeze), and just get the generic "Failed to setup mail
provider, continuing anyways" message in my Roller log if I don't set it.

Trying the JNDI configuration as given in [1] isn't working for me
either, it just silently fails with no message given in roller.log.

Thanks,
Glen

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/roller-user/200909.mbox/%3CC86899CCB10A6C4E93D5978DCB232D4B0CE394CD@GDCMX01.igglobal.com%3E