Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Flavio Pompermaier <po...@okkam.it> on 2016/11/14 13:47:37 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Schedule and Scope for Flink 1.2

Hi to all,
for the 1.2 release do you think it will be possible to include also a PR
to implement FLINK-4491 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-4491>?
The PR is waiting for a review at https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/2790.

Best,
Flavio

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
We might also think about addressing:

Relocate Flink's Hadoop dependency and its transitive dependencies
(FLINK-5297),

because a user reported that they cannot use the system due to a dependency
issue.

Cheers,
Till

Posted by Vijay <vi...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Stephan,

The new handler changes for Netty layer is straightforward and it is not really an workaround. Moreover if we think there is a better way to handle it in future we can easily unwind it as it is just a pluggable handler. Pushing these changes before FLIP-6 merge certainly avoids lot of conflicts and also we already spent cycles in reviewing and fixing rest of the authorization changes for other layers.

Regards,
Vijay

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
Very nice, thanks Robert!

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Hi Aljoscha,

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
Hi Vijay!

Posted by Vijay <vi...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
Hi Vijay,

Thank you for updating the pull request. I appreciate your work in the
security realm of Flink and value your contributions so far. It would
be great to merge the authorization pull request for the release.
However, I don't feel comfortable about the network stack (i.e. Netty)
related changes because they touch a very critical part of the Flink
engine. While the code has already been iterated over in the lifetime
of the pull request, I still think somebody extremely familiar with
Netty and the Flink network layer should check out the changes
(thinking about Ufuk here). Apart from that, I would like to further
test the changes to harden the code.

Posted by Vijay <vi...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vijay <vi...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Thank you all for your responses so far. The situation is better than I
expected :)

Let me summarize, and please object if you disagree:

- RESOLVED dynamic Scaling / Key Groups (FLINK-3755)
- RESOLVED Add Rescalable Non-Partitioned State (FLINK-4379)
- RESOLVED [Split for 1.3] Add Flink 1.1 savepoint backwards compatability
(FLINK-4797)
- UNRESOLVED Integrate Flink with Apache Mesos (FLINK-1984)
- UNRESOLVED Secure Data Access (FLINK-3930)
- RESOLVED Queryable State (FLINK-3779)
- RESOLVED Metrics in Webinterface (FLINK-4389)
- RESOLVED Kafka 0.10 support (FLINK-4035)
- RESOLVED Table API: Group Window Aggregates (FLINK-4691, FLIP-11)
- RESOLVED Table API: Scalar Functions (FLINK-3097)
Added by Stephan:
- NON-BLOCKING [Pending PR] Provide support for asynchronous operations
over streams (FLINK-4391)
- ONGOING [beginning of next week] Unify Savepoints and Checkpoints
(FLINK-4484)
Added by Fabian:
- UNRESOLVED Clean up the packages of the Table API (FLINK-4704)
- UNRESOLVED Move Row to flink-core (FLINK-5186)

Posted by Kostas Kloudas <k....@data-artisans.com>.
Hi Robert,

Posted by Stefan Richter <s....@data-artisans.com>.
Hi Robert,

The state of (FLINK-4797) Add Flink 1.1 savepoint backwards compatibility is as follows:

We have identified 5 major steps:

1) Convert savepoint format, task state, state handles, etc.
2) Convert binary format of keyed state backends (Rocks, Heap, Fs)
3) Introduce a first step for for being able to upgrade type serializers in the future, in particular versioning and making them part of a check/savepoint
4) Ensure current operators are compatible with their old format
5) Intensive testing

1) and 2) are finished and reviewed, they will be merged today or tomorrow.
3) Is almost done, then must be reviewed. My estimate is end of this week.
4) Kostas is working on this, but my feeling is that we are pretty close to completion. We already restored a job with general window operator and kafka source in an end-to-end test. My estimate for this would be end of this week or beginning of next week.
5) While we already tested a lo during development, I think this needs some thorough end-to-end testing after steps 1-4 are completed.

Best,
Stefan

Re: [DISCUSS] Schedule and Scope for Flink 1.2

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Robert for reactivating the discussion.

There are a few Table API related refactorings that I would like to have in
1.2 because they are API breaking:
- FLINK-4704 Clean up the packages of the Table API and move it to the
org.apache.flink.table package space. This is an API breaking change that
we should do rather earlier than later.
- FLINK-5186 Move Row to flink-core. Row is used by other modules as a
flexible and wider Tuple (e.g., flink-jdbc, RowCsvInputFormat). Several
users requested to move it to flink-core, also to avoid Calcite which comes
with flink-table.

Both changes are mostly refactoring and should be solvable with rather
little effort.

@Flavio: I completely agree that we need a fix for FLINK-5122 in 1.2.0.
Since this is not a new feature but rather a bugfix it won't be affected by
the feature freeze, IMO.
It makes sense to fix it for RC1 though.

Best,
Fabian

Posted by Flavio Pompermaier <po...@okkam.it>.
Hi Robert,

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
Thanks Robert for bringing this up again.

Would be great to come to that

@use: I'll take a look at https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/2752

Considering "UNRESOLVED Provide support for asynchronous operations over
streams (FLINK-4391)" - that is currently in the hands of the contributor.
I would like it if it went into the release, but would not block the
release on that, if it is not ready in time.

Best,
Stephan

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.
Hey Robert,

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I would like to reactivate this old email thread. The initial plan was to
release 1.2 before Christmas, have RC1 by end of Nov / December and a
feature freeze mid-November.
Today (December 5), we did not yet do the feature freeze. I would like to
get an overview again of the remaining blockers and what we want to include
into the release.

From the issues Fabian posted in the beginning, they have the following
status:

Posted by Flavio Pompermaier <po...@okkam.it>.