Posted to cvs@incubator.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2017/05/24 00:51:52 UTC

[Incubator Wiki] Update of "LivyProposal" by kostas

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Incubator Wiki" for change notification.

The "LivyProposal" page has been changed by kostas:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/LivyProposal?action=diff&rev1=5&rev2=6

Comment:
Incorporated feedback from general@ thread.

  == Homogenous Developers ==
  The project already has a diverse developer base. It has contributions from 3 major organisations (Cloudera, Microsoft and Hortonworks), and is used in diverse applications, in diverse settings (On-Prem and Cloud).
  == Reliance on salaried Developers ==
- The existing contributors to the Livy project have been made by salaried engineers from Cloudera, Microsoft and Hortonworks. Since there are three major organisations involved, the risk of reliance on a single group of salaried developers is mitigated. The Livy user base is diverse, with users from across the globe, including users from academic settings. We aim to further diversify the Livy user and contributor base.
+ The contributions to the Livy project to date have been made by salaried engineers from Cloudera, Microsoft and Hortonworks. One of the individuals on the initial committer list has since left Microsoft and is currently unaffiliated. The remaining contributors are from Cloudera and Hortonworks. Since there are at least two major organizations involved, the risk of reliance on a single group of salaried developers is mitigated. The Livy user base is diverse, with users from across the globe, including users from academic settings. We aim to further diversify the Livy user and contributor base.
+
  == Relationships with other Apache projects ==
  Livy is closely tied to the Apache Spark project and currently addresses the scenarios for a REST based batch and interactive gateway for Spark jobs on YARN. Given the growing number of integrations with Livy, keeping it outside of Apache Spark aligns with the desire of the Apache Spark community to reduce the number of external dependencies in the Spark project. Specifically, the Apache Spark community has previously expressed a desire to keep job servers independent from the project.<<FootNote(See, for example, discussion of the Ooyala Spark Job Server in SPARK-818)>> Furthermore, while Livy common usage is closely tied to Spark deployments right now, its core building blocks can be reused elsewhere.  Livy’s Remote REPL could be used as a library for interactive scenarios in non-Spark projects. In the future, integrations with cluster managers like Apache Mesos and others could also be added.

@@ -109, +110 @@

  The “Livy” name is not a registered trademark. We will need to do a trademark search and make sure it is available for the Apache Foundation prior to graduation.

- Cloudera currently owns the domain name: http://livy.io/ which will be transferred to the ASF and redirected to the official page during incubation.
+ Cloudera currently owns the domain name: http://livy.io/. Once all the documentation has moved over to ASF infrastructure, the main landing page will become livy.incubator.apache.org and the old domain will just act as a redirect.

  = External Dependencies =
  The list below covers the non-Apache dependencies of the project and their licenses.
@@ -136, +137 @@

   * issues@livy.incubator.apache.org (subscribers shouldn’t be able to post)

  == Git Repository ==
- git://git.apache.org/livy
+ git://git.apache.org/incubator-livy

  == Issue Tracking ==
  We would like to import our current JIRA project into the ASF JIRA, such that our historical commit message and code comments continue to reference the appropriate bug numbers.