Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by 蛋蛋/nv <41...@qq.com> on 2014/04/17 11:41:31 UTC

Access SVN slowly at first time login

Dear:
    I have a question when using SVN. Could you please help me on this?
    We run two SVN virtual machines(with Windows Server 2003 system installed Subversion Edge ) on the same physical machine.We set LDAP authentication both on the two virtual machines.When we log in SVN at the first time, it behaves slowly, and after I closed SVN log-in widows mandatory, and log in SVN again, it behaves normally.
    Looking forward to your reply!

Re: 回复: Access SVN slowly at first time login

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
Which was the actual problem that you experienced?

Fwd: 回复: Access SVN slowly at first time login

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 5:41 AM, 蛋蛋/nv <41...@qq.com> wrote:
> Dear:
>     I have a question when using SVN. Could you please help me on this?
>     We run two SVN virtual machines(with Windows Server 2003 system
> installed Subversion Edge ) on the same physical machine.We set LDAP
> authentication both on the two virtual machines.When we log in SVN at the
> first time, it behaves slowly, and after I closed SVN log-in widows
> mandatory, and log in SVN again, it behaves normally.
>     Looking forward to your reply!

Keep in mind, LDAP *is not usually doing authentication*. It's
normally doing account management. With Active Directory and most
setups, *Kerberos* is doing authentication. So, for example, the first
connection to a Kerberos service is sensitive to slow reverse DNS
lookups and time skew between your client machine and the LDAP server.
Also, for both LDAP and Kerberos, there are often multiple servers
configured to run the service, and one of them may be having problems.

I'd reach out to your LDAP manager and ask if they've noticed erratic
behavior. Also, see if you can repeat the problem. If the SVN server
itself was very busy with some bulky "svnsync" operation, or just
system backups, you might have seen a temporarily slow load.