Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Robert L Sowders <rs...@usgs.gov> on 2002/10/01 03:31:01 UTC

Help with test needed.

I've just about completed a new site and I've been wondering about a few
things, specifically how does the public see it.  It's an ArcIMS site and
I know it will appear to load a bit slow, (that's just how ArcIMS works).
I'm hosting the front end in one place and the data at another.  I'm
wondering about the network latency that is built in.

If you would go to http://terra.wr.usgs.gov/pilots/wa-id/viewer.htm, then zoom in about three
times and click on the orthophoto check box that comes up on the right
hand side, then hit the refresh button, this final refresh will give you
an idea of the network latency.

I can't see it because I'm on the DOI backbone.

Any help is appreciated.

rls

jdeveloper <jd...@cox.net>
09/30/2002 05:50 PM
Please respond to "Tomcat Users List"

        To:     Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: How to integrate Tomcat 4.0.4 with JBOSS 3.0.2

Sounds great but it does not solve the problem.  :)

Re: Help with test needed.

Posted by Martin Jacobson <ma...@libero.it>.
Robert L Sowders wrote:

> I've just about completed a new site and I've been wondering about a few
> things, specifically how does the public see it.  It's an ArcIMS site and
> I know it will appear to load a bit slow, (that's just how ArcIMS works).
> I'm hosting the front end in one place and the data at another.  I'm
> wondering about the network latency that is built in.
>
> If you would go to http://terra.wr.usgs.gov/pilots/wa-id/viewer.htm, then zoom in about three
> times and click on the orthophoto check box that comes up on the right
> hand side, then hit the refresh button, this final refresh will give you
> an idea of the network latency.
>
> I can't see it because I'm on the DOI backbone.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

I just tried it - I'm connected @ 10Mb/s to a fast backbone in Italy -
and although it takes ~ 10 sec to display the page, the delay BEFORE it
starts loading the image is only of the order of a second or two, so
it's not too bad. I'm glad I'm not trying this at home via 56K dialup,
'though!

HTH,

Martin