Posted to dev@sentry.apache.org by Sravya Tirukkovalur <sr...@apache.org> on 2015/06/03 01:36:23 UTC

Board report for June 2015

Hi all,

Here is a draft of report [1]. Please let me know if you have any
suggestions. As we need to submit this today, I will wait for another 6
hours before submitting it on incubator page. If I receive feedback after
that I will update it directly there.

Thanks!
[1]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SENTRY/June+2015

Re: Board report for June 2015

Posted by Prasad Mujumdar <pr...@cloudera.com>.
On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 2:10 AM, Prasad Mujumdar <pr...@cloudera.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> grow community and the new members have contributed plugins for more Hadoop
> projects, for example Apache Sqoop plugin (
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SENTRY-612). Such ideas and
> contributions are discussed lot more frequently on Jira tickets and review
> boards which are as open forums as the mailing list.
> IMO As the community grows there'll be more ideas on expanding the core
> direct and those are likely to generate more mailing list discussion.
>

>> Releases:
>>
>> Releases are another big warning flag, and specifically how the
>> project is deciding when to release:
>>
>> Some projects, have a fixed schedule for releases. Every n weeks they
>> release a new version. Some projects wait until there's enough change
>> and discuss it. I'm not aware of either happening in Sentry.
>>
>> Here's a couple of examples:
>> This is the 4.4.4 release of CloudStack being discussed:
>> http://cloudstack.markmail.org/thread/on3n3mllxoxcc5gb
>>
>> CloudStack in general strives for a feature release every 4 months (it
>> rarely runs on time, but it gives a general sense for people to know
>> what to expect). Bug fix releases are generally on demand based on
>> feedback from users or developers finding a particularly nasty bug.
>>

>> Jclouds on the other hand is different, feature versions are fluid,
>> but planned, while bug fix releases tend to be on a pretty regular
>> schedule of a few weeks:
>> In example, here's the 1.7.0 timing thread.
>> http://jclouds.markmail.org/thread/oju2le7afs6gh2p6
>>
>> I can't find anything like that for Sentry. Has Sentry discussed and
>> agreed upon a predefined schedule? How does the user community know
>> what to expect out of a project for upcoming releases? How would a new
>> developer, for instance, know how to plan development work to target a
>> specific release? I'd love to find links here, but I am coming up
>> empty. The very cynical side of me worries that someone outside of the
>> PPMC is deciding 'we need Sentry 1.5.0' or something similar.
>>
>> That's a fair concern. Let me try to explain a bit more about the factors
> that impact the releases. As mentioned earlier , the goal of Apache Sentry
> is to be an authorization policy engine for Apache Hadoop and the ecosystem
> components like Apache Hive, Apache Pig, Apache HBase, Apache Sqoop etc.
> Some these projects have prior authorization framework and Apache Sentry
> has implementations of those which can be plugged into such components by
> the users. There are other like Apache Sqoop which have recently developed
> such framework and Sentry community has developed a plugin for that. This
> integration make Apache Sentry dependent on these downstream project
> releases. This makes it hard for Sentry to make stable releases fix
> schedule with contents that provide any value to the community. For
> example, Sentry master branch was dependent Hive 1.2-SNAPSHOT. Once Hive
> 1.2 was released [2], the Sentry 1.5 release could proceed.

Correction, it's Apache Hive 1.1 release [4] not 1.2.
[4] -
http://mail-archives.us.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201503.mbox/%3CCAASjJOYQHjMxE_57RY3=Vf1y_tVvpd0cxYbZBpUDp3W0F98WKA@mail.gmail.com%3E

Posted by Prasad Mujumdar <pr...@cloudera.com>.
Hi David,

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
Hi folks,

Posted by Lenni Kuff <ls...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Prasad Mujumdar <pr...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sravya Tirukkovalur <sr...@cloudera.com>.
+1 for the idea.

--
Sravya Tirukkovalur

Re: Board report for June 2015

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sravya Tirukkovalur <sr...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Thu, Jun 4, 2015, at 03:44 AM, David Nalley wrote:
> Hi folks:
>
> I apologize for a lack of engagement of late. That has caused
> problems. (lack of oversight on the release vote for instance)
>
> I left comments on the board report about concerns I have, and wanted
> to ensure that it's a conversation we continue and that it doesn't
> just get lost.
>
> So here are my comments - and one of the links will not work for you,
> but do work for the board members and IPMC members reviewing the board
> report. My goal is not to beat up, or complain, but ensure that things
> improve and that this projects successfully graduates.
>
> dn: Recently during the conversation around graduation, mentors have
> raised a number of concerns. The gravest of these is concerns
> around where project direction is occurring.
> See http://s.apache.org/sentrygraddiscussion for more detail.
> Additionally, it was discovered that Sentry did not follow the
> Incubator release process for the 1.5.0 release - though that is now
> being rectified on general@ - see:
> http://s.apache.org/sentryreleaseissue
> I am somewhat concerned that the report mentions neither of these
> things and for that reason, I am withholding signoff.

Full agreement here. Also, I'm disappointed after the feedback I've
given elsewhere that -- once again -- the board report is being pulled
together at the last minute without the opportunity for actual community
review of the report. The community should have at least 72 hours to
review something like this for proper discussion.

I see an enormous disconnect between the project's report and the
reality. There are very serious concerns about the podling that have
been expressed to the project and they are not reflected here.

> I also think it would be reasonable for the podling to report monthly
> for the next three months or so to report on progress dealing with
> these issues.

+1

> --David
>

> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 6:00 PM, Sravya Tirukkovalur <sr...@cloudera.com>
> wrote:
> > Thank you all for proof reading! I just posted the report to incubator wiki.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Gregory Chanan <gc...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> >
> >> lgtm.
> >>
> >> Greg

> >> prasadm@cloudera.com

> >> few

> >> How

> >> feedback

> >> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SENTRY/June+2015

> > --
> > Sravya Tirukkovalur

Best,

jzb

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
Hi folks:

Posted by Sravya Tirukkovalur <sr...@cloudera.com>.

--
Sravya Tirukkovalur

Re: Board report for June 2015

Posted by Gregory Chanan <gc...@cloudera.com>.
lgtm.

Posted by Lenni Kuff <ls...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Prasad Mujumdar <pr...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sravya Tirukkovalur <sr...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Prasad Mujumdar <pr...@cloudera.com>.
   Thanks Sravya for putting this together! Looks mostly fine. A few minor
comments/suggestions below -

bq. Sentry community is getting ready for graduation.
I am not sure if we want to mention that under "issues" section. How about
adding that to community or project section ?

Date of last release - IMO we should wait for IPMC vote for new release. We