Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jiaqi Guo <ji...@evavi.com> on 2004/11/05 19:17:03 UTC

Can I make project.xml extend a remote file?

Like

<project>
    <extends>http://mysite.com/myproject.pom</extends>
</project>

I've got an error after changed my project.xml to this.

Thanks
Jiaqi

Re: Can I make project.xml extend a remote file?

Posted by Thomas Van de Velde <th...@gmail.com>.
Adrian,

Sorry, I was a bit too quick with my response. In fact what I do is I have a
master project.xml that I place in the folder where I've installed Maven.
All my applications extend this POM in the following way:

<extend>${maven.home}/project.xml</extend>

Application modules will further extend the application POM like this:

<extend>${application.home}/project.xml</extend>

Within project.properties you set the correct path (which is used by
multiproject)

application.home=../../.. [or whatever path that's fit for your module]

Now when you want to build a module in isolation, whithout having the
application pom checked out, you can refer dynamically replace the
application POM with the master pom:

maven jar:install -Dapplication.home='${maven.home}'

Does this make sense?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Herscu <bm...@axentra.net>.
Brett, just asked if I can use the "multiproject" goals when the
sub-projects are not using the <extend> mechanism - will Maven
build them?

What do you thing about Thomas' solution? (previous post in this
thread)

Adrian.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: newbie: Cannot run "m2 install"

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
It looks as if it is being run in a directory without a project.

Try the archetype goal in the getting started guide.

Cheers,
Brett

Posted by Christian Schlaefcke <cs...@wms-network.de>.
Hi Folks,

I´m trying get into maven and downloaded and installed maven 2 as
recommended. Now I´m in the "getting started" stage in understanding
maven. The create step for the default project worked fine but when I
try to run "m2 install" I get this stacktrace:

[INFO]
[INFO] Building Maven Default Project
[INFO]
[INFO] [resources:resources]
[INFO] [compiler:compile]
[INFO] No sources to compile
[INFO] [resources:testResources]
[INFO] [compiler:testCompile]
[INFO] No sources to compile
constituent[0]: file:/usr/java/maven-2.0-alpha-1/lib/maven-script-
marmalade-2.0-alpha-1.jar
constituent[1]: file:/usr/java/maven-2.0-alpha-1/lib/wagon-provider-
api-1.0-alpha-2.jar
constituent[2]: file:/usr/java/maven-2.0-alpha-1/lib/maven-settings-2.0-
alpha-1.jar
constituent[3]: file:/usr/java/maven-2.0-alpha-1/lib/maven-core-2.0-
alpha-1.jar
constituent[4]: file:/usr/java/maven-2.0-alpha-1/lib/plexus-container-
artifact-1.0-alpha-2.jar
constituent[5]: file:/usr/java/maven-2.0-alpha-1/lib/marmalade-core-1.0-
alpha-2.jar
constituent[6]: file:/usr/java/maven-2.0-alpha-1/lib/maven-monitor-2.0-
alpha-1.jar
constituent[7]: file:/usr/java/maven-2.0-alpha-1/lib/commons-cli-1.0-
beta-2.jar
constituent[8]: file:/usr/java/maven-2.0-alpha-1/lib/wagon-http-
lightweight-1.0-alpha-2.jar
constituent[9]: file:/usr/java/maven-2.0-alpha-1/lib/plexus-marmalade-
factory-1.0-alpha-2.jar
constituent[10]: file:/usr/java/maven-2.0-alpha-1/lib/maven-plugin-2.0-
alpha-1.jar
constituent[11]: file:/usr/java/maven-2.0-alpha-1/lib/plexus-i18n-1.0-
beta-3.jarconstituent[12]: file:/usr/java/maven-2.0-alpha-1/lib/maven-
artifact-2.0-alpha-1.jar
constituent[13]: file:/usr/java/maven-2.0-alpha-1/lib/maven-model-2.0-
alpha-1.jar
org.apache.maven.reactor.ReactorException: Error executing project
within the reactor
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:144)
(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launchEnhanced
(Launcher.java:303)
        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:243)
        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.mainWithExitCode
(Launcher.java:416)        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.main
(Launcher.java:363)
Caused by: org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Error
during lifecycle execution
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute
(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:154)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.processProject
(DefaultMaven.java:212)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:136)
        ... 9 more
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginParameterExpressionEvaluator.evaluate
(PluginParameterExpressionEvaluator.java:95)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.getPluginConfigurationFromExpressions(DefaultPluginManager.java:635)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo
(DefaultPluginManager.java:411)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeMojo
(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:448)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executePhase
(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:417)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute
(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:140)
        ... 11 more

Thanks for any help!

Regards,

Chris

Re: Can I make project.xml extend a remote file?

Posted by Adrian Herscu <bm...@axentra.net>.
Adrian Herscu wrote:

> Thomas Van de Velde wrote:
>
>> You could do this:
>>
>> Within your module:
>>
>> <project>
>> <extend>${module.root}/project.xml</extend>
>>  </project>
>>
>> Within module's project.properties:
>>
>> module.root=../.. [your path to your base POM]
>>
>> When you build in isolation:
>>
>> maven jar:install -Dmodule.root=.

Tried that with Maven 1.0.2 - does not work:

org.apache.maven.MavenException: Parent POM is equal to the
current POM
         at
org.apache.maven.MavenUtils.getNonJellyProject(MavenUtils.java:236)
         at
org.apache.maven.MavenUtils.getProject(MavenUtils.java:143)
         at
org.apache.maven.MavenUtils.getProject(MavenUtils.java:122)
         at
org.apache.maven.MavenSession.initializeRootProject(MavenSession.java
:232)
         at
org.apache.maven.MavenSession.initialize(MavenSession.java:172)
         at org.apache.maven.cli.App.doMain(App.java:475)
         at org.apache.maven.cli.App.main(App.java:1239)
         at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method)
         at
java:39)
         at
sorImpl.java:25)
         at com.werken.forehead.Forehead.run(Forehead.java:551)
         at com.werken.forehead.Forehead.main(Forehead.java:581)

Posted by Adrian Herscu <bm...@axentra.net>.

Posted by Thomas Van de Velde <th...@gmail.com>.
You could do this:

Posted by Adrian Herscu <bm...@axentra.net>.