Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> on 2008/04/01 05:57:53 UTC

Re: 2.0.9 Release Candidate

Brian,

I hope the release process can be refined to allow substantial usage of the
RC builds by syncing with the central repo. Since Apache requires a
"release" to have binding votes, you could publish them for a week or two
and collect feedback rather than rapidly producing RC after RC. Maybe you
want to use RC as a patch version or go one level further (2.0.8.1, etc.)?
In any event, the downside of not publishing a build is that you can't call
it a "release" and get the widespreader usage than the die-hard Maven
watchers.

Paul

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 4:25 PM, Brian E. Fox <br...@reply.infinity.nu>
wrote:

> In an attempt to raise quality and reduce/eliminate regressions in the
> core releases, we are experimenting with a new release process. The old
> process had a few informal staged builds followed by one or more
> official staged builds that where voted on. Clearly this didn't attract
> enough testing prior to the official release to identify regressions or
> other major issues.
>

> The new process we are using for the 2.0.9 release is to cut actual
> release candidate (RC-XXX) releases. These are released with the normal
> release process so it generates a tag, but do not get sync'd to central.
> We have gone through several RCs[1] as we tested on the dev@ list. The
> next step is to open it up to the user list for fix validation and
> regression identification. This is really the first time we've followed
> such a process so we'll have to see how it pans out.

Paul

Re: 2.0.9 Release Candidate

Posted by "David J. M. Karlsen" <da...@davidkarlsen.com>.
Brian E. Fox skrev:
> Having to do a formal vote and release is not agile enough, we'd be
> doing RCs for decades. Hopefully the users on the list are interested in
> quality and forward compatibility of their builds to grab the RC and
> give it a whirl. As I said, the quality is now a community effort and
> entirely dependent on the level of user interaction with the RCs.

RCs seems a very good way to go to me.
This gives the most active maven users a chance to do a QA on a certain
rev before it's released out to the masses - and will probably help on
the stability and end-quality.
RCs are also easier to track and test for ppl who do not want to build
trunk self - and probably less of a moving target than the earlier seen
approaches - this again increases the chance that it in fact will be
tested thorughly.

My $.05

RE: 2.0.9 Release Candidate