Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 1997/03/10 23:02:47 UTC

Child process dieing off "permaturely"

Seems that what the person was seeing is the result of
a loaded server with "non-optimal" values of Min and MaxSpareServers.
The child process would see more idle processes than needed and
kill itself off. Other child processes would also do the same
before it seemed that the parent process would note their
demise.

Might be a good idea that before the child process dies, it updates
the scoreboard with a new state: DIEING (or ZOMBIE). count_idle_servers
would become DIEING/ZOMBIE aware and factor that in. Seems pretty
easy to do, but this is more feature than bug I think. However,
I've got a good idea how to handle this sooooo if it's really
a bug, I'll fix :)
                  "Not the Craw... the CRAW!"