Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by "M. C. Srivas" <mc...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/14 08:28:28 UTC

Re: Dealing with single point of failure

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 1:34 PM, lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is more of "theoretical problem" really.
> Yahoo and others claim they lost far more data due to human error than any
> HDFS problems (including Namenode failures).

Actually it is not theoretical at all.

SPOF  !=  data-loss.

Data-loss can occur even if you don't have any SPOF's.  Vice versa, many
SPOF systems do not have data-loss (eg, a single Netapp).

SPOF == lack of high-availability.

Which is indeed the case with HDFS, even at Y!  For example, when a cluster
is upgraded it becomes unavailable.

@Mark:
 the Avatar-node is not for the faint-hearted. AFAIK, only FB runs it.
Konstantin Shvachko and co at eBay have a much better NN-SPOF solution in
0.22 that was just released. I recommend you try that.

Posted by Michel Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Sorry to join late...
SPoF is a real problem if your planning to serve data realtime from your cluster.
( Yes you can do this w HBase ...)

Then, regardless of data loss, you have to bring up the cluster.
Down time can be significant enough to kill your business, depending on your use case.
Sure there are ways to make the NN more fault tolerant, but then you increase the complexity of your solution and still have to worry about automatic failover.

MapR did a nice little trick that I would expect to show up in some fashion in Apache some time down the road.

( my bet is that someone will be clever enough to reverse engineer this. )

Mike Segel