Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Chris Withers <ch...@simplistix.co.uk> on 2005/02/18 12:33:49 UTC

Looking for rule set to combat loan offer spam

Matt Kettler wrote:

> At 05:27 AM 2/17/2005, Chris Withers wrote:
>
>> I now only have TRIPWIRE ANTIDRUG EVILNUMBERS in my_rules_du_jour.
>> Are these still worth having? They don't seem to have been updated in
>> ages...
>
> Antidrug is likely to not be updated, I'm lacking time to work on it.
>
> It's also now a part of SA 3.0, so if you've got SA 3 or higher you
> should definitely *NOT* include antidrug.

cool, where in SA 3.0 is it? I can only find antidrug.cf in my
rules_du_jour folders...

Anyway, back o the main point left bugging me:

Can anyone recommend a good rule to add that will catch "you have an X%
approved mortgae for $x" in all its various forms?
How about one for the various paypal scams? I don't even have a paypal
account...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk

Re: Looking for rule set to combat loan offer spam

Posted by Richard Ozer <ro...@ois-online.com>.
I find that the following additional rulesets helps SA squash 99.7% of our
spam; including mortgage. This is with SA 3.0x

70_sare_random.cf
bogus-virus-warnings.cf
weeds.cf
chickenpox.cf
stocks.cf
biz.cf
evilnumbers.cf
mangled.cf
tripwire.cf

All of these are avaiable at rulesemporium.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 06:33 AM 2/18/2005, Chris Withers wrote:
> > At 05:27 AM 2/17/2005, Chris Withers wrote:
> >
> >> I now only have TRIPWIRE ANTIDRUG EVILNUMBERS in my_rules_du_jour.
> >> Are these still worth having? They don't seem to have been updated in
> ages...
> > Antidrug is likely to not be updated, I'm lacking time to work on it.
> > It's also now a part of SA 3.0, so if you've got SA 3 or higher you
> should definitely *NOT* include antidrug.
>
>cool, where in SA 3.0 is it? I can only find antidrug.cf in my
>rules_du_jour folders...

Antidrug.cf is integrated into SA 3.x's 20_drugs.cf, along with some other
drug rules by other authors. Look for it in your /usr/share/spamassassin,
where all the "stock" rules live.

Over time they may weed some out, change them, move them, etc.. but they
are contributed to the project, so the devs can do whatever they need to do
to them to improve em.

>Anyway, back o the main point left bugging me:
>
>Can anyone recommend a good rule to add that will catch "you have an X%
>approved mortgae for $x" in all its various forms?

I don't have any of those in my custom sets yet..  So I can't help you on
this one.. maybe someone else can.

>How about one for the various paypal scams? I don't even have a paypal
>account.

I find clamav is excellent for phishing scams.. it treats them as viruses
and nails about 85% of them with no FPs so far