Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gene Horodecki <ge...@shaw.ca> on 2005/04/29 21:31:13 UTC

Is 5.5.9 stable?

I've been battling this all week, I'm hoping someone can lend a helping hand.  I read that Tomcat 5.5.9 was the latest stable version and so I downloaded it and installed on Linux FC2 and AIX 5.1, though I realize on the website it says 'current development focus'-- does this mean it is not stable?  I attempted to follow the accompanying documentation on setting up a JDBC resource, as well as similar instructions in a book that I purchased.  I could not do so because I found that 5.5.9 utilizes a seperate context.xml file which does not seem to be referenced in any documentation anywhere.  This changed things, such as the location of <DefaultContext>, etc.  I attempted to compensate but I could not get a JDBC config to work without error.  I read one post on the internet in which a user ran into the same problem and the advice was to go to 5.5.8-stable, which is not available on the primary downloading site.  In desperation, I installed Tomcat 5.0.28 which seems to work well
but I want to make sure I am using the latest and greatest.  All I want is a stable version that works.  Which version should I use?  To me the online instructions on the matter do not seem clear.

Thanks so much for your comments / suggestions.

Re: Is 5.5.9 stable?

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Both are latest and greatest. If 5.0.28 works fine for you then I don't see
any reason not to stick with it for now.

The main difference in the two (as I have read) is that 5.5 does not need
the JDK and as such resolves some license issues for a lot of users who
wanted to package and distribute Tomcat as turn key. The JRE can be done
this way but not the JDK. So for now you are fine with the 5.0 branch. And
please anyone correct me if I am wrong here or the is any other major
reasons.

As for the JDBC did you follow the instructions on the 5.5 web page? The 5.0
page is different and will not work.

I know there is a note on the 5.5 page, but maybe we could ask nicely if
someone could put a big warning on the 5.0 page about 5.5

As for 5.5.8 there should be a link for the archives that will take you to
it.

Doug