Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Michael O'Cleirigh <mi...@rivulet.ca> on 2009/12/11 04:39:07 UTC

Preview (finally) of datatable-autocomplete

Hello,

I got my wicket stuff commit access over a year ago and finally have the
datatable-autocomplete module ready to be committed into wicketstuff-core.

I have a working version that I will be committing as soon as I can
confirm that wicketstuff-core will still build with my new module
(Hopefully tomorrow or next week at the latest).

The main use for this extension is to have quick ajax lookups for large
static datasets.   It includes a Patrica Trie
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radix_tree) which is the index and the
necessary wicket components and behaviors to tie a text field into an
IDataProvider to display the results in a data table.

I've deployed the example application on my website here:
http://rivulet.ca:8080/datatable-autocomplete-examples-1.4-SNAPSHOT/

This is the best test case I could come up with to generate a large
number of items to search, in this case 74271.  It works by opening up
the rt.jar file in the jvm classpath and then indexing all of the
methods found.  You can search by the method name only but sort the
results by method name, parameters or class name and see how many
results there are in total after each character of the search.

There are two search modes:
1. prefix matching which is what the Trie is meant for and is the
fastest at.
2. any string matching which is still fast at 100,000 elements but
probably slows down faster than prefix matching as the dataset size or
maximum indexed string length grows large.

Regards,

Mike

Re: Preview (finally) of datatable-autocomplete

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
that looks pretty impressive...

-igor