Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/05 14:30:27 UTC

PDFBox needs Java 5?

Hi,

When setting up the Hudson build I noticed that the current PDFBox
trunk doesn't build with JDK 1.4 due to a number of autoboxed (mostly
boolean) method arguments. Is this intentional?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: PDFBox needs Java 5?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I still have customers who have to deploy on Java 1.4 for the time being
(mostly WebSphere environments) and my PDF-in-PDF plug-in for FOP is
being used in these environments. If PDFBox moves to Java 1.5 that's
fine. It just means for me that I have to stick to that old PDFBox
version I have until I can drop the 1.4 requirement.

On 08.08.2008 13:46:40 Philipp Koch wrote:
> hi,
> java 1.4.2 eol (end of live) period completes October 30th, 2008, when
> J2SE 1.4.2 will have reached its End of Service Life (EOSL).
> from that point of view it would make sense to me to switch to java
> 1.5 completely. this would mean that we could skip special java 1.5
> source folders and could make use of all 1.5 features. i also think
> that this change is ok since pdfbox is in incubanation.
> what do others think?
<snip/>

Jeremias Maerki

Re: PDFBox needs Java 5?

Posted by Philipp Koch <ph...@day.com>.
hi,
java 1.4.2 eol (end of live) period completes October 30th, 2008, when
J2SE 1.4.2 will have reached its End of Service Life (EOSL).
from that point of view it would make sense to me to switch to java
1.5 completely. this would mean that we could skip special java 1.5
source folders and could make use of all 1.5 features. i also think
that this change is ok since pdfbox is in incubanation.
what do others think?

regards,
philipp

Re: PDFBox needs Java 5?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I've fixed the auto-boxing problem. The other one is more fundamental. I
don't think it's a good idea to put Java2D painting code in PD model
classes. IMO, that should be moved to special classes inside the
pdfviewer package. In order to support Type 1 fonts, we could agree to
create a java-1.5 source directory where Java 1.5 dependent code could
be put. We've done that in FOP in the past to distinguish between Java
1.3 and 1.4 code. When a Type 1 font appears in a Java 1.4 environment,
a dummy implementation could simply issue a warning on the log and
paint the text in a fallback font.

On 06.08.2008 18:46:55 Ben Litchfield wrote:

> I had looked into why the nightly builds were failing on the
> pdfbox.org server the other day.  In addition to the autoboxing there
> was a AWT Type1 font that was failing, which might be harder to resolve.
>
> Ben
>

> Quoting Daniel Wilson <wi...@gmail.com>:
>
> > I don't think I yet have a Jira account.  I got the new committer info from
> > you ... and that talks about creating a Jira account.  I'll try it later &
> > see what happens ...
> >
> > Daniel
> >
> > On 8/5/08, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,

> >> Cool, thanks! This should also be a good chance to verify that your
> >> svn access is properly configured.
> >>
> >> I filed an issue for this, see
> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-364. Do you already have
> >> a Jira account? Let me know your Jira username so I can mark you as a
> >> committer of the project.
> >>
> >> The autoboxing cases seem to be pretty straightforward to fix. See
> >> http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/PDFBox-trunk/1/console for
> >> the failing build. Hudson is now using Java 5, but I'll reset it to
> >> Java 1.4 once PDFBOX-364 is fixed.
> >>
> >> BR,
> >>

> >> Jukka Zitting

Jeremias Maerki

Re: PDFBox needs Java 5?

Posted by Ben Litchfield <be...@benlitchfield.com>.

Re: PDFBox needs Java 5?

Posted by Daniel Wilson <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: PDFBox needs Java 5?

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: PDFBox needs Java 5?

Posted by Daniel Wilson <wi...@gmail.com>.
If those are recent changes, they may be my fault.

If there's a way to handle those that JDK 1.4 will do, I'm all for it.  I
could try making those changes, but probably not before Saturday.

Daniel Wilson