Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jean-Frederic <jf...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/22 14:08:21 UTC

Releasing mod_jk 1.2.21

Hi,

I think time as arrive to release 1.2.21.
Are there pending changes? Or urgent ugly bugs?
What about a date like Friday evening (GMT) for tagging?

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Re: Releasing mod_jk 1.2.21

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Rainer Jung wrote:
> Jean-Frederic wrote:
>> On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 09:20 +0100, Rainer Jung wrote:
>>> What is still open:
>>>
>>> A Henri's core dumps on iSeries
>>
>> Wasn't it only a wrong printf?
>
> I doubt that very much, at the stack in his core didn't point to these
> statements. I'm still waiting for feedback from Henri.
>
>>> B The other user with protocol corruption on AIX for worker MPM
>>
>> Is there are bugzilla number for this one?
>
> No, he participated in the mail thread started by Henri on the iSeries
> core dump.
>
>>> C Porting 41439 from IIS to Apache
>>
>> You want to remove sessionid=D5E2FE08F02400159DFD6231
>> 11F98FEE.p-ng-ptom2 from
>> /shoppingcc/img/btn_nav_main_login.gif;jsessionid=D5E2FE08F02400159DFD6231
>>
>> 11F98FEE.p-ng-ptom2
>> do it with mod_rewrite:
>> RewriteRule ^/(.*).gif;jsessionid=.*$ /$1.gif [PT]
>
> Of course I know, but you need to coordinate with your Jkmounts, so you
> need to duplicate your rules to detect static URLs between mod_jk and
> mod_rewrite. Anyhow the feature is not high on my list and I actually
> dropped it for 1.2.21.

I have the patch for that with new directive
JkStripSession On|Off definable per vhost

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: Releasing mod_jk 1.2.21

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Jean-Frederic wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 09:20 +0100, Rainer Jung wrote:
>> What is still open:
>>
>> A Henri's core dumps on iSeries
>
> Wasn't it only a wrong printf?

I doubt that very much, at the stack in his core didn't point to these
statements. I'm still waiting for feedback from Henri.

>> B The other user with protocol corruption on AIX for worker MPM
>
> Is there are bugzilla number for this one?

No, he participated in the mail thread started by Henri on the iSeries
core dump.

>> C Porting 41439 from IIS to Apache
>
> You want to remove sessionid=D5E2FE08F02400159DFD6231
> 11F98FEE.p-ng-ptom2 from /shoppingcc/img/btn_nav_main_login.gif;jsessionid=D5E2FE08F02400159DFD6231
> 11F98FEE.p-ng-ptom2
> do it with mod_rewrite:
> RewriteRule ^/(.*).gif;jsessionid=.*$ /$1.gif [PT]

Of course I know, but you need to coordinate with your Jkmounts, so you
need to duplicate your rules to detect static URLs between mod_jk and
mod_rewrite. Anyhow the feature is not high on my list and I actually
dropped it for 1.2.21.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Releasing mod_jk 1.2.21

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Jean-Frederic wrote:
>> C Porting 41439 from IIS to Apache
>
> You want to remove sessionid=D5E2FE08F02400159DFD6231
> 11F98FEE.p-ng-ptom2 from /shoppingcc/img/btn_nav_main_login.gif;jsessionid=D5E2FE08F02400159DFD6231
> 11F98FEE.p-ng-ptom2
> do it with mod_rewrite:
> RewriteRule ^/(.*).gif;jsessionid=.*$ /$1.gif [PT]

Right. Since Apache has mod_rewrite, use that instead.
IIS comes with no mod_rewrite surrogate so strip_session
makes sense as a workaround.

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: Releasing mod_jk 1.2.21

Posted by Jean-Frederic <jf...@gmail.com>.

Re: Releasing mod_jk 1.2.21

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2007, at 1:10 PM, Jean-Frederic wrote:
>
>> I also  have the pending patch... To prevent typos in the properties no
>> beeing detected what starting httpd.
>>
>> Should I include it?
>>

> Sorry for the delay... unless it's too late, why
> the change from HTTP_INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR to !OK?

No it's not too late. Rainer just did a 'worm-start' :)
However, Jean-Frederic already changed that back to
HTTP_INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR before release tryout.

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: Releasing mod_jk 1.2.21

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Releasing mod_jk 1.2.21

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Rainer Jung wrote:

> and we will get a lot of bug reports, if we break those.
> So I think all in all we should only check attributes beginning with
> "worker.".

Right, good point. After all this is what matters.

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: Releasing mod_jk 1.2.21

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
I like it too. It was always a weakness, that workers.properties typos
get through unnoticed. It will be interesting to find out that way, how
many users have configs that actually don't work...

I didn't read the patch in detail: will it be compatible with the
existing macro feature

myvar=someValue
worker.something.attribute=$(myvar)

There are zillions of old default config files including the deprecated

ps=/

(it's even still in our docs)

Re: Releasing mod_jk 1.2.21

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Re: Releasing mod_jk 1.2.21

Re: Releasing mod_jk 1.2.21

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Rainer Jung wrote:

> Yes, but then you ignore the fact, that we already have such a
> functionality, and that we changed it's behaviour between 1.2.19 and
> 1.2.20. So at least we need to decide, if it's behaviour should be
>
> - disabled completely (breaking existing configs for all versions)

My favorite :)

The point is that using DirectoryIndex one can
force for example that index.jsp is served as default
welcome file.

However, the web application might have different
thoughts on that subject in web.xml, and then your
web application doesn't behave like it should.
In fact with that you are breaking the Servlet spec,
because something gets served outside the config.
So, you must edit httpd.conf in parallel with web.xml
(very bogus and cumbersome).

Also the usage of the DirectoryIndex is possible
*only* and *only when* you have a physical access to
the web application's directory tree, meaning that
this is limited to the negligible number of deployments
where you have both Apache and Tomcat on the same box.

And as last, DirectoryIndex doesn't allow you to do
anything you cannot do with web.xml and <welcome-file-list>
except breaking it.

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: Releasing mod_jk 1.2.21

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Rainer Jung wrote:
>>
>> D New design of interaction of mod_jk ForwardDirectories and httpd
>> DirectoryIndex (BZ 41430, BZ 36121)
>
> As I said so many times, any attempt to from DirectoryIndex
> that will force serving something that is not part of
> the Tomcat's welcome file list will be vetoed.
>
> I would support only the complete removal of the
> entire stat logic and leave that entirely to Tomcat.
> IMO, the entire DirectoryIndex is complete breakage of
> the Servlet API, as I said so many times on the so
> many BZ reports having the same subject.
>
> Regards,
> Mladen.

Yes, but then you ignore the fact, that we already have such a
functionality, and that we changed it's behaviour between 1.2.19 and
1.2.20. So at least we need to decide, if it's behaviour should be

- like 1.2.19
- like 1.2.20
- disabled completely (breaking existing configs for all versions)
- define it newly and then implement what's defined

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Releasing mod_jk 1.2.21

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Re: Releasing mod_jk 1.2.21

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Rainer Jung wrote:
>> What is still open:
>>

>> I would like to give A-C a chance until end of the week and would then
>
> This week or a next?
> We have a Security issue that requires release ASAP.

This week.

I would be interested in the Security issue. If appropriate use direct
communication.

> Regards,
> Mladen.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Releasing mod_jk 1.2.21

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Re: Releasing mod_jk 1.2.21

Re: Releasing mod_jk 1.2.21

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Jean-Frederic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think time as arrive to release 1.2.21.
> Are there pending changes? Or urgent ugly bugs?
> What about a date like Friday evening (GMT) for tagging?

I don't think we'll be able to cut that before
Monday. There are few pending things that needs
to be ported across server.

--
Mladen.