Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Brent Herring <br...@uca.edu> on 2005/11/15 00:16:26 UTC

[users@httpd] Restricted directories

I'm having a problem with Apache directory restrictions that I have not found this same issue in the FAQ or archives. I get the feeling that the problem may be my lack of understanding of some fundamental function of the server.

I have a certain directory to which access is restricted by IP subnet. For example, only clients from 192.168.66.* can access the files in the restricted directory. This actually works fine when clients attempt to directly access the directory. If they are not in the proper IP subnet then access is denied.

The problem is this: Many pages on the web site are accessed by a Perl script. The script writes out the page template that is the same for all the pages on the site, and then reads in the data for each individual page from individual html files on the server. If you attempt to access a file in the restricted directory using the script the web server directory restrictions are ignored and the file is displayed.

Is this what is supposed to happen? Since this isn't what I would like to happen, can it be overcome?

Thanks,
Brent.

D. Brent Herring
Information Technology
University of Central Arkansas
brenth@uca.edu
UCA IT: 501-450-3117
Helpdesk: 501-450-3107
Fax: 501-450-5365

Re: [users@httpd] Restricted directories

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 11/14/05, Brent Herring <br...@uca.edu> wrote:
> I'm having a problem with Apache directory restrictions that I have not found this same issue in the FAQ or archives. I get the feeling that the problem may be my lack of understanding of some fundamental function of the server.
>
> I have a certain directory to which access is restricted by IP subnet. For example, only clients from 192.168.66.* can access the files in the restricted directory. This actually works fine when clients attempt to directly access the directory. If they are not in the proper IP subnet then access is denied.
>
> The problem is this: Many pages on the web site are accessed by a Perl script. The script writes out the page template that is the same for all the pages on the site, and then reads in the data for each individual page from individual html files on the server. If you attempt to access a file in the restricted directory using the script the web server directory restrictions are ignored and the file is displayed.
>
> Is this what is supposed to happen? Since this isn't what I would like to happen, can it be overcome?

You haven't given details on how the script is accessed or configured,
nor have you given useful things like log messages.  But in general,
it is safest to assure that *both* the script *and* the pages that it
accesses are restricted using Allow/Deny directives.  If you need more
help, be more specific about what you are doing by giving us concrete
examples.

Joshua.