Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/23 15:26:46 UTC

HTTP retries

The current JMeter release candidate uses zero retries (default) for
the HC4 implementation, the default for HC3.1 (3) and Java (1 retry, I
think).

We noticed that the HC4 implementation shows occasional errors when
run against some websites, whereas the HC3 does not.
When the HC4 implementation is run with 3 retries, the errors disappear.

Just wondering why the default of 3 was chosen? Is that what other
applications such as browsers do?

Also, I notice that the retry count is available from the
RequestWrapper (getExecCount(), subtract 1) in HC4.

It does not appear to be available in HC3.1 - just checking, is that correct?

Re: HTTP retries

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2011-09-23 at 14:26 +0100, sebb wrote:
> The current JMeter release candidate uses zero retries (default) for
> the HC4 implementation, the default for HC3.1 (3) and Java (1 retry, I
> think).
>
> We noticed that the HC4 implementation shows occasional errors when
> run against some websites, whereas the HC3 does not.
> When the HC4 implementation is run with 3 retries, the errors disappear.
>
> Just wondering why the default of 3 was chosen? Is that what other
> applications such as browsers do?

Purely by accident.

> Also, I notice that the retry count is available from the
> RequestWrapper (getExecCount(), subtract 1) in HC4.
>
> It does not appear to be available in HC3.1 - just checking, is that correct?

I believe so. It's been years since I looked at the HC 3.x code, though.

Oleg